snails for cycling?

cicatriz

Reaction score
hI all,

just wondering how hardy larger ornamental snails (such as a mystery snail) are when it comes to cycling a tank? has anyone tried this? are there any reasons I shouldn't?

thanks!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Apparently snails will survive the cycle, so I guess they should also help the cycle if you have more of them. I've had snails in a cycling 1.5 week old tank, and they're getting bigger by the day. No signs of any cycle effects on them whatsoever!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They have such a light bioLoad it would take a long time to cycle a tank using just snails (or have I misunderstood your question )
Carol

griffin

Well Known
Reaction score
I think mystery snails would have a heavy enough bioload if they were fed, but I doubt pond/pest snails would really work too well (bioload too small)

I used to have some mystery (apple) snails, and they were pretty much pooping machines!

OP
C

cicatriz

Reaction score
ok cool,

so I have a tank about 6 days into the cycle and already have nitrates showing up, the ammonia is gone and the nitrites are almost gone... should I throw my snail in the tank or will it throw things out of wack?

griffin

Well Known
Reaction score
well, I would think that if you've got nitrates, with nitrites/ammonia gone, you're finished cycling

hehe, I just read your signature, it looks like you already put them in just a warning though, they're probably too big for dwarf puffers to eat the whole thing unless they're about less than a week or so old.

gl with your tanks!

Eskielvr

Reaction score
I have 1 Mystery Snail and 1 pond snail in my 5 gallon, which I'm still waiting on to finish cycling. My ammonia levels are now up to 4 ppm and they don't even seem to notice! They're thriving just the same. (But I do hope it cycles soon.)

New Threads