snails for cycling?

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi all,

just wondering how hardy larger ornamental snails (such as a mystery snail) are when it comes to cycling a tank? has anyone tried this? are there any reasons i shouldn't?

thanks!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Apparently snails will survive the cycle, so I guess they should also help the cycle if you have more of them. I've had snails in a cycling 1.5 week old tank, and they're getting bigger by the day. No signs of any cycle effects on them whatsoever!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes they don't like ammonia spikes but overall should be ok like Isabella said

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They have such a light bioLoad it would take a long time to cycle a tank using just snails (or have I misunderstood your question )
Carol

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i think mystery snails would have a heavy enough bioload if they were fed, but i doubt pond/pest snails would really work too well (bioload too small)

i used to have some mystery (apple) snails, and they were pretty much pooping machines!

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok cool,

so i have a tank about 6 days into the cycle and already have nitrates showing up, the ammonia is gone and the nitrites are almost gone... should i throw my snail in the tank or will it throw things out of wack?

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well, i would think that if you've got nitrates, with nitrites/ammonia gone, you're finished cycling

hehe, i just read your signature, it looks like you already put them in just a warning though, they're probably too big for dwarf puffers to eat the whole thing unless they're about less than a week or so old.

gl with your tanks!

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool! glad to hear he's doing better

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 1 Mystery Snail and 1 pond snail in my 5 gallon, which I'm still waiting on to finish cycling. My ammonia levels are now up to 4 ppm and they don't even seem to notice! They're thriving just the same. (But I do hope it cycles soon.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom