Snails For A Betta Tank

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
We have a 7.5 gallon tank with 1 betta in my daughters room. It's been up and running with her Betta, Mimi (its a boy, but she wanted him to be called Mimi). I have a photo of the tank below. She really wants some tankmates, and we are interested in getting some snails.

We have a crazy large plant growing in it that Mimi loves (and is hiding in the middle of for the picture). Her bedroom is really bright, and we have been getting some algae buildup, even if we keep the tank light off. So I think that snails would be a nice tank addition.

I have no idea if Mimi is aggressive, since he's lived alone in his little plant forest for the past 4 months. But what snails would be OK with him, and do we need to get more than one snail for them to be happy? Is 7.5 gallon big enough to add a couple snails?

betta tank.jpg

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have and would recommend a Nerite snail. The zebras art beautiful. In a 7.5 gallon I wouldn't get more than 2. Nerite snails are great cleaners and will not reproduce since their eggs only hatch in salt water. They will lay them though. They will look like a white sesame seed on decor. I have 4 snails in a 46 gallon tank. They never lay the eggs on the glass, so they don't bother me at all.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have and would recommend a Nerite snail. The zebras art beautiful. In a 7.5 gallon I wouldn't get more than 2. Nerite snails are great cleaners and will not reproduce since their eggs only hatch in salt water. They will lay them though. They will look like a white sesame seed on decor. I have 4 snails in a 46 gallon tank. They never lay the eggs on the glass, so they don't bother me at all.
Thanks! This is perfect and they are very pretty. Good to know about the eggs. I was a bit worried about that! I'm excited to have a new type of underwater creature.

Top Bottom