Snails For 60?

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI all,
I have a 60 gallon Blackwater tank with angelfish, kuhlI loaches, and soon to have some others as well, my question is, what would be a good snail to add to help with algae on the glass, and be a cool addition.
Even with it being a Blackwater tank the ph is still hard and has tons of calcium and minerals, our water is in the high 8s and I have a thick sand substrate

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For me 2 nerites got rid of most of the algae on the front of the tank overnight

OP
Collin Chorba

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gourami36 said:
24 gallon. Now they are in a 10 and I move them between tanks when there’s a lot of algae
I like that, I’ll be having at least 4 tanks set up soon totaling at 200 gallons between them all

OP
Collin Chorba

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Collin Chorba said:
I like that, I’ll be having at least 4 tanks set up soon totaling at 200 gallons between them all
One will be a 110 gallon fancy goldfish pond, would the nerites handle 65 degree water or should I get a different snail for that?

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Collin Chorba said:
One will be a 110 gallon fancy goldfish pond, would the nerites handle 65 degree water or should I get a different snail for that?
Could you get the temp up to 70? Should be fine for the goldfish and nerites prefer 70-80

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Nerites or ramshorns would work fine

OP
Collin Chorba

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gourami36 said:
Could you get the temp up to 70? Should be fine for the goldfish and nerites prefer 70-80
Not without buying a heater, which may happen eventually, my house stays in the 64-68 range usually

OP
Collin Chorba

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just read that 70-80 is preferred but they can be kept in much lower temps, what do you guys think, is adding them to the goldfish pond every now and then a bad idea?

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Collin Chorba said:
Not without buying a heater, which may happen eventually, my house stays in the 64-68 range usually
If the temperature is colder the nerites won’t move as much and they’ll eat less algae

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Collin Chorba said:
I just read that 70-80 is preferred but they can be kept in much lower temps, what do you guys think, is adding them to the goldfish pond every now and then a bad idea?
I think nerite snails or ramshorn snails would be fine at 64-68f, no need to buy a heater. The goldfish would be more comfortable at that temperature too.

OP
Collin Chorba

Collin Chorba

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gourami36 said:
If the temperature is colder the nerites won’t move as much and they’ll eat less algae
I wouldn’t really mind the algae because it’s a pond, plus I think the goldfish will pluck that pond clean of algae anyway

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Collin Chorba said:
I wouldn’t really mind the algae because it’s a pond, plus I think the goldfish will pluck that pond clean of algae anyway
You don’t really need nerites for there then. Just keep them in your other tanks

New Threads