Snails eating Vallisneria

jonoobie

So I brought some lovely Vallisneria which I wanted All long the back of my aquarium however my Devil horn snails are absolutely loving eating them they bite through till it snaps off then eat the stub right down, is there another type of plant that is similar that will cover all along the back ? That my snails won’t absolutely love,

thanks in advance

Katie993

Devil Snails don't normally eat live, healthy plants. How long have you had the plants? They may be melting back and your snails are eating the dying leave but they should sprout back up. Vallisneria is the hardiest background plant I know of. I'll grow in just about anything but, it will have to adjust to your tank first.

jonoobie

Katie993 said:
Devil Snails don't normally eat live, healthy plants. How long have you had the plants? They may be melting back and your snails are eating the dying leave but they should sprout back up. Vallisneria is the hardiest background plant I know of. I'll grow in just about anything but, it will have to adjust to your tank first.
Had the snails for a few years but the plants only had a few weeks they were on them as soon as I put them in they looked healthy when I put them in

Katie993

jonoobie said:
Had the snails for a few years but the plants only had a few weeks they were on them as soon as I put them in they looked healthy when I put them in
I really can't think of a background plant they won't eat if they're eating val. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.

Katie993

Just a thought but, do you give your snails veggies? If not, you might try it. It probably won't stop them from eating your plants but, it might slow them down a bit

jonoobie

Katie993 said:
Just a thought but, do you give your snails veggies? If not, you might try it. It probably won't stop them from eating your plants but, it might slow them down a bit
Thanks for another reply yes I give them cucumber which they do enjoy just not as much as the plants hahaha

Top Bottom