Snails Breeding Like Bunnies

Dillyshines
I recently bought a couple mystery snails to fix an algae issue in my tank and the two of them are constantly on top of one another. It’s only been three weeks and I have at least 30 baby snails all over. Is there any way that I can keep this population controlled in a peaceful community tank without introducing an assassin snail? I have a couple nerites that I’d rather not lose. TSM

Attachments

• 1627EE09-5A1C-42FF-B057-C315B76CB002.jpeg
    1627EE09-5A1C-42FF-B057-C315B76CB002.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 77
Platylover
Those aren’t mystery snail eggs... look closer to a rams horn or pond snail eggs. The best way to do it is to set some traps and jsur remove any snails you see.

Demeter
Definitely not mystery snail eggs. You would see cream colored clutches above the water line, usually on the aquarium hood. They can be pretty large clutches, rather hard to miss actually.

They are either bladder or pond snail eggs, in which case some assassin snails could help but the best way to get rid of them is by removing all the snails you can find.

Mary765
You've been conned I'm afraid those look just like the tadpole (bladder) snail eggs I had. Unless you meant mystery snails as in you didn't know what species the snail was...

Either way, Could you attach a picture of your snails?

I had my snail boom in my nano 5 gallon and 10 gallon tanks, so I just pulled all the snails out I could find each day and the snails eventually just ran out lol

fastraver
That egg sac or clutch is not Mystery Snail. That may be something else.

When I increased the temp in my tank to 78 to 79. That's when my Mystery Snails started to breed.

Here is a Mystery Snail egg clutch.

20180217_154939.jpg

Dillyshines
Here they are! But I did order some plants recently from liquid creations and now I’m wondering if eggs may have come on those, even though I rinsed them what I thought was thoroughly. Eeep!

Attachments

• 9DDD319C-89EF-4F82-B1C9-588332539D56.jpeg
    9DDD319C-89EF-4F82-B1C9-588332539D56.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 223AA864-FFBD-4CCA-9576-D0A1C65A94B6.jpeg
    223AA864-FFBD-4CCA-9576-D0A1C65A94B6.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 63
Platylover
Ok, so luckily you didn’t get scammed! Beautiful mysteries, but I think you’d be correct in your assumption of hitch hikers. Just set some traps and get rid of any you see on sight, in time it should get rid of the snails.

Mary765
Here they are! But I did order some plants recently from liquid creations and now I’m wondering if eggs may have come on those, even though I rinsed them what I thought was thoroughly. Eeep!

... no yeah those ARE mystery snails. You must have a tadpole snail infestation then!!! Pull all the babies out asap. Find an hour or so you are free and search every decoration, tank surface, plant and equipment for eggs and snails and remove them. Then search the tank each day by eye from the outside and remove all the snails you see until you find no more snails for a month in a row... THEN you are snail free!

I always look my plants over on every leaf and surface twice before letting them into my tank as sometimes there is a tiny baby egg clump of one or two eggs but even if that gets into your tank it can start the ball rolling.

fastraver
Those are some beautiful Mysterys you got there. Which one is your female. The way you can tell. Is the female is on bottom and the male always on the side or top.

Dillyshines
Thank you all so much! I just ordered a snail trap and caught as many as I could manually! Hope to be snail free soon

Dillyshines
My male is the purple because he’s always the “mounter.” I got them from aquatic arts and they sent a small ivory female as well. Their shipping is expensive, but everything I’ve purchased from them has thrived.

fastraver
That is great. I so wish I could order snails from the States. For some odd reason. All the snails here are Ivory, Golden and the odd Black/Dark Brown.

You will have some beautiful baby snails if things work out.

Dillyshines
Holy moly!

Attachments

• 8431D39A-6423-4655-814B-59343FA4E6EF.jpeg
    8431D39A-6423-4655-814B-59343FA4E6EF.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 75
fastraver
That is so cool. But it looks like that clutch is below the water line. Is it below or above the water line?

If above, it is okay. If below, and you want baby snails. It must be removed out of the water. Or the entire clutch will drown and die.

Dillyshines

0EC799EC-2626-4330-99A6-03EC22337DE7.jpeg They are above the water. It took her forever to lay the clutch. So happy my son got to see it. I wasn’t planning an keeping all of these snails. What can I do with them? We are a one-tank home.

fastraver
I have heard of people selling 4 week old snails on line. Have know of breeders or people buying the clutch it self.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Top Bottom