Snails attacking snails??

Agua86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've started noticing a whole lot of empty snail shells in one of my tanks, and today found some Rams and trumpets ganging up on a single ramshorn. I feed them very well, these were sent to me by another hobbyist here, and I promised to not feed them off to my puffer - **** I'm shocked I've managed to keep them alive this long, so I'd like to know why they're doing this?
IMG-20191114-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20191114-WA0000.jpg

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It likely has algae or something on it's shell- mine do that a lot. A lot of snails will also eat other snails if theyre dead.

As for the empty shells- pest snails are known to just sort of suddenly die. They usually only live for about a year or so but a lot will die in like 8 months

Agua86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Salem said:
It likely has algae or something on it's shell- mine do that a lot. A lot of snails will also eat other snails if theyre dead.

As for the empty shells- pest snails are known to just sort of suddenly die. They usually only live for about a year or so but a lot will die in like 8 months
I started noticing them about 2 months ago, the shells are medium sized Rams, I know they get much bigger, the feeder snails I order come with some beefy guys. I was worried because I have yet to see Rams babies and the original stock is nearly gone.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I assure you you definitely already have babies. They take a few weeks to hatch and then another few weeks to grow big enough that theyre visible.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom