Snails appearing in tank Question

1. Matt&Julie Initiate Member

Hi All,

We set up our tank at the end of Oct and put fish in early Nov. We have purchased some live plants around the middle of November.

We noticed a few days after buying the live plants a couple of small snails crawling around. We think we observed them mating, and alas now a few days later there are a bunch more really small snails in the tank.

Are these snails good or bad? Or "neutral" as in not a problem.

Cheers,

Matt

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Matt,
    Sorry about your problem with snails. Some snails can be very cute and good for the tank as 'extra' pets. I don't know what kind of snails they are so maybe a picture or two could help other members who could give their opinions too. If you want to gather them or see how many snails you have, you could get a cut cucumber and place it in the tank at night when the lights are all out. The next morning, you should be able to find a number of them on the cucumber. Hope my info helps. Good luck! :;hf

3. click Well Known Member Member

Well, depends how many you have. Some people like to keep a few of them but keeping the population under control, others like to remove them. I think the population increases only when there's an excess of food. I will let other people with more experience in snails to share their thoughts.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The snails that come in on plants can be a nuisence. If you over feed, they can easily take over your tank.
    You can pick them out or put a peice of lettuce in the tank over night. The snails should go for it and just toss them out in the morning.
    I have some in one of my tanks and I've kind of gotten used to them. lol

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

if you use the cucumber use a saucer with it, else the snails can fall off and lead to alot of crying :p

6. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i have had snails hitchhiking on some plants I bought. they are a nuisance (IMO). I would suggest clown loach to consume them, but since you have a 20 they would get too big for that. I like Lucy's idea about using the lettuce.

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

What method did you use to cycle the tank. You said you set it up in the end of October and put fish in in the beginning of Nov. If you have not cycled the tank you might start experiencing problems shortly as the ammonia levels are on the rise. Your profile doesn't say (so let us know)
    1 If you are testing the water and what the parameters are.
    2 what test kit are you using.
    3 How many fish do you have in it.

If it was cycled correctly I apologize, it is just that a lot of people get into fish too quick and become frustrated in a few weeks when there fish all start to die.
    Hopefully it is cycled and I am just reading to much into things tonight.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Matt&Julie. As requested above a photo of the snails in question would be a great help. Chances are the snails you are seeing are hitch hikers and not babies from the ones you saw mating. Depending on the type of snail. I have Mystery Snails and once their eggs were laid it took 15 days for them to hatch. So...you know the time frame better than I. I love my Mystery Snails :)
    Mystery Snails
    Ken

9. aquarium dunce Member Member

I have just bought some assassin snails to eat some of the unwanted snails because I too have a 20 gallon and can not get loaches. I am hoping that will help. I have also tried the lettuce but the little pesky snails in my tank got too smart and stopped being attracted to the lettuce. :;fru

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

My Mystery Snails love zucchini. You may want to try a long slice of it if the other veggies mentioned fail to work.
    Ken

11. rezcraze Initiate Member

Hi.....I have had the same problem before. Snails are a nuisance and they multiply real fast and have the potential to take over the tank. As suggested by peacemaker a cucumber leaf wud help removing the snails manually. The other way is to introduce a fish named "clown loach" which feeds on the snails, this is the best solution. Some people use a chemical to destroy the snails which i strongly dont recommend. Always treat the plants before introducing it in ur tank. Keep posted on whether u solved the problem.:;snail

12. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

rezcraze, since the OP has a 20 gal. a clown loach would not be the best choice. those fish can become 10 inches or longer. that is a good idea about treating plants before introducing them into a new aquarium.

13. njc Initiate Member

Hi, I don't have much to add - my friend had a similar problem, and removed them slowly with a slice of cucumber each night. The snails did become a problem in his case as they ate all of his (newly bought!) plants until there were just stalks left! But I think one or two snails are good for the tank!