Snails Appearing In Aquarium

TheNacho

Valued Member
Reaction score
Approximately a month ago I added a new fish to my new tank- a pleco. In the bag that he came in was also a small snail that the fish shop worker scooped by accident. Im not sure which species it is, but it has the shape of a malasyan trumpet snail, and is 0.5 cm long.

It was in the tank for a day before I removed it after my mom told me it's probably a pest snail, and currently it's in a separate small container with aquarium water.

About a week after that I noticed a weird blob on the leaf of one of the plants in the aquarium- I realized it was another snail that I have never seen before. It isn't similar to the first snail- it's round, orange-ish and kind of translucent, and 0.5 cm in diameter.

And today I noticed another snail on one of the plants: way larger! It's 1 cm in diameter, a bit translucent, light brown with dark brown spots and a few lines.

(all of the snails were moved to the same water container so that they won't breed in my aquarium, unfortunately I don't have any other places I could put them to separate them)

Where are those new snails coming from?? Is it possible they were hiding on the plants I was buying for the aquarium? How quickly can they grow? How come I never noticed them before today, especially the last one? Does anyone know which type of snail they are?

I'm attaching a photo- (from left to right) the second snail, the first snail, the third snail

Attachments

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No clue what your second snail is. Almost looks like it’s in a bag. First is a malasian trumpet snail. They are good snails. They go into the substrate and eat anything in there and move the substrate around so there are no dead spots. Third one looks like a pond snail or a young nerite. Would need a picture of the shell.

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes they probably came from the plants.
The pointy one is a trumpet snail and the rounder one looks kinda like a bladder snail but I’m not certain. And I also am not certain of the third snail pictured
Both reproduce asexually so it only takes one to get a whole group going in your aquarium.
I keep them in my aquariums on purpose because I have other fish that eat them, they clean up after my messy gourami’s, AND I think they are cute.

Most people prefer trumpet snails because they just kinda root around in the substrate. Whereas the other guys are probably all over your glass.

You can keep them but keep in mind they will be a small additional bioload to your aquarium filtration and if you overfeed them the population will increase very rapidly
(I personally just remove big ones and leave behind “micro snails”)

I don’t have much info on getting rid of them for you, because I have never done that.
Manual removal of all snails and eggs from all parts of the tank including plants and deco IS and option, but you will probably miss at least 1 and 1 is all it takes.
Copper medicines are an option but I hear it’s difficult to get the copper back out of your tank, like so difficult you might as well just break the tank down to get rid of the snails . But again I have never tried this personally.

Definently a personal preference on wether you keep the little guys or remove them though because as far as I know they do absolutely nothing to harm fish OR plants

Also you probably never noticed them because baby snails are dang near microscopic during their first days after hatching, and/or they were exploring underneath the substrate

treadingwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive gotten snails from the algae tablets I fed my plecos before. We had an unplanted tank and had an issue with algae so we bought the pleco. After a few months we started dropping algae tabs in. A few weeks later we saw snails. We took them out, switched brands and never had a problem again.

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The second and third are both ramshorn - you can get them in different varieties - as mentioned above the third snail is the spotted variety, the second snail should develop a stronger red/pink colour as it gets older. They look more translucent / light orange when they are small.

TheNacho

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! (btw, I found another snail in the aquarium last night, similar to the large one I found yesterday morning. Now they're all together in jail, haha)

Any suggestions to fish that eat snails that I van house them with? I've been thinking of getting another small aquarium...

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
About 4 weeks ago we upgraded our tank to a bigger tank, moved all the fish over to the new tank, and drained the old tank. It has just been sitting there drying out until we were ready to get it going again. Filled it up a couple of days ago to get it ready for a Betta.

Looked at it yesterday afternoon and there were snails in it LOL. They're resilient, that's for sure! This is despite me cleaning the gravel. I guess I need a sieve with slightly bigger holes.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well clown loaches are probably the best snail eaters. But they get big. Other loaches also eat snails. Pea puffers also eat snails. But they can be aggressive. Assassin snails will eat other snails but than you end up with lots of Assassins. So as you see not many great options. For me the best way would be to buy a clown loach keep it for about 2 months and see if you could return for something else.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom