Snails, anyone?

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

What exactly do you do to get enough snails in a tank so that there isn't an excess or depletion of snails? Is that even possible? How many should I start off buying? What is a good kind to buy? I have five clown loaches; they range in size from one inch to about two inches. I just want to give them something different. I thought the snails might be a treat and a quirk factor for the tank.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you are talking about the "good" snails like apple or mystery snails, I would not put them in the tank with your clowns. Eventhough they are very big snails, your clowns will terrorize them and still try and eat them.

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Trying to do the snail and the loaches in the same tank just does not happen.
    The loaches will eat the snails much faster than the snails can reproduce.

Sorry for the downer post.

Dino

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

BUR, if you want snails for your loaches to eat, you could start some in a small tank and believe me they will multiple or someone with an over abundance of snails might share with you. ;)
    Carol

5. Janmitch22 Member Member

Okay, I'll locate a tank before I get any.

Carol, what is BUR?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

BUR is my own code for BUT, In other words sometimes I can't spell :D :D :D :D

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes the proximity to Dino's posts do increase my spelling mistakes ;)
    Carol

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Hahaha ... guys you have no idea how this post made me laugh! Maybe it wasn't that very funny, but nevertheless it appealed greatly to my humor LOL! As I was reading this thread and came to Carol's reply, I also asked myself "What is BUR?" Then I came to Janmitch22's reply, lol, and thought, "Exactly, that's a good question, what is this BUR?" Then I came to next Carol's reply, just to read that it was her "special code" for "BUT"! HAHA! It made me feel so dumb lol! Carol, lol, I suggest you avoid being anywhere near Dino from now on!

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

That ain't gonna happen. Dino is a babe magnet. Even the married women can't resist him. I think it's some kind of alien trick he has up his sleeve. :-*

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Women just recognise a superior life form more redily than men.

Dino

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes and I even got a good laugh out of re-reading this post :D I've always heard that Laughter is good for the soul ;)
    Now Jan, you could even use a gallon jar with a bubbler in it to keep snails going for your clowns to eat. Snails don't care where they live, just drop a veggie wafer in about once a week and they will multiply like nobodys business :p
    Carol

13. Janmitch22 Member Member

I'm definitely keeping snails in mind for the tank! I'll probably need to wait a little bit, though. I just don't want to regret it because there is someone in this household waiting to point the finger. All I need is for snails to multiply and become a hassle, then I may come home one day to empty fish tanks.  I'm alone in my fish love.  :'(

14. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

aww that's sad me too

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hang in there, fish have a way of winning people over and they don't know they've been won over until it's too late ;) How about that run-on sentence ;D
    Carol

16. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Once they start seeing the different personalities and see you gain knowledge in your fish, they will probably get more interested. There's a lot more to fish than just having a pretty tank that you clean every week.

17. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Well my family would like to have a tank that is pretty and all that BUT they don't have to clean it or do anything about it.  My mom kind of regards it a a decoration.  It's totally my responsibility.  I even have to pay for it ::)
    I'm the only one that knows anything about aquariums and fish and all that stuff. :-\

18. Janmitch22 Member Member

Yeah, looks like we're in the same boat, newbie. It was cute until we figured out that the fish needed heaters, filters, water treatment, etc. Then they were moved out of the good rooms and they became solely my responsibility. I like it best that way, actually! I know what's been done, when it's been done, etc.

19. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ditto!

20. Craig Well Known Member Member

im the same as well!! i like the responsibility of lookin (or the animals i ve looked) after though i love my hobbies, fish keepin is a great hobby 1 of the best iv done just flick the music on get the jobs done and then u hav a beautiful tank 2 watch the whole week