Snails and silk plants?

TeeJay89

Hello all, I currently have 2 tanks, a 20 and 5 gallon. They both have live plants, but after about a year of having live plants not doing too good I'm debating on switching to silk. My question is, do snails do ok with silk plants? Like if they get algae on them, can they even scrub the algae off to eat it? If they cant then I will just leave them as is, but figured I'd ask!

BigManAquatics

My snails mostly ignore the silk plants but occasionally i see my nerites on them cleaning. On the plastic plants they are on them frequently, both nerites and mystery. My mystery snails kind of swing like Tarzan on them!

Upvote 0

TeeJay89

My snails mostly ignore the silk plants but occasionally i see my nerites on them cleaning. On the plastic plants they are on them frequently, both nerites and mystery. My mystery snails kind of swing like Tarzan on them!

Thanks! I think the main thing I was wondering what is it safe for them, like they cant eat the silk threads? I like the look of plastic plants too I just have to make sure they're not too pointy because of my Betta

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thanks! I think the main thing I was wondering what is it safe for them, like they cant eat the silk threads? I like the look of plastic plants too I just have to make sure they're not too pointy because of my Betta
I wpuld avoid them with a betta. Some are pretty soft, but best not to risk it. As far as the silk goes, guess it just depends on the snail. My nerites usually only crawl on the plants as a last resort lol! I can't complain much, my glass stays spotless 29/30 days.

Upvote 0

TeeJay89

I wpuld avoid them with a betta. Some are pretty soft, but best not to risk it. As far as the silk goes, guess it just depends on the snail. My nerites usually only crawl on the plants as a last resort lol! I can't complain much, my glass stays spotless 29/30 days.

Thanks! I have one nerite and one mystery. The nerite as far as I've seen will go on the decor, but not really the live plants. My mystery however goes any and everywhere!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thanks! I have one nerite and one mystery. The nerite as far as I've seen will go on the decor, but not really the live plants. My mystery however goes any and everywhere!
Seems pretty typical! My nerites like to hide in skulls then freak me out by crawling out of the eye sockets.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I have almost reached the same thought on live plants in my 55 gallon tank. I am a heartbeat away from removing most of them and going back the simpler times of artificial plants.

I suspect the black beard algae will grow just as well on silk/plastic as it does on real so my SAE will still have food. Miss Sneller, my mystery snail would just have to learn to deal with the bio-film on artificial instead of real. These days there are some very real looking artificial silk and plastic plants. At least with them I can pull them out, bleach them to clean them and they look new again.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Maxwell09
  • Snails
Replies
Views
R3licx
  • Question
  • KribensisLover1
  • Snails
Replies