Snails And Shrimp Suddenly Dying Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by wrathofjhan, Jun 16, 2018.

1. wrathofjhan

wrathofjhan New Member Member

I have a fluval flex 9 gallon that has been set up for about 2 years. I used to just have shrimp and snails but about a year ago I added a betta. In the last few months every shrimp or nerite snail I put in dies instantly. I checked the water. Ammonia and nitrates are 0 and nitrates are 15. PH is 6.7ish.

Today I bought 4 nerite snails and acclimated them and put them in the tank. They haven't moved yet. I have no idea what's going on.

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Well Known Member Member

How often do you do water changes? My bets would be on a heavy metal spike, such as copper. I'm not sure how to test for copper, but I wonder if maybe something changed where the water comes from? The shrimp might be the betta attacking them.

3. OP
    OP
    wrathofjhan

wrathofjhan New Member Member

I though copper too but I loaded the filter up with carbon and did water changed with treated spring water. The betta ignores everything and was living with shrimp and snails before this all started happening. I do water changes once a week.

I am going to buy a copper test kit just to be safe.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice