Snails and Reproduction?

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am sort of tempted to get a mystery snail from petsmart, but I don't want to have to worry about a snail takeover. Petsmart says on their website that they readily reproduce and that they are asexual. Some reviews say they have had problems with a snail take over, others said you just have to kill the egg pouch, and others mentioned no problems at all. What is the truth about snails?

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery snails lay a clutch of eggs above the water line. They aren't scattered all over, like some other types of snail eggs, so they are usually easy enough to remove if you spot them. Sometimes you might not see them, if they lay the eggs on the bottom side of the canopy top.

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
toosie said:
Mystery snails lay a clutch of eggs above the water line. They aren't scattered all over, like some other types of snail eggs, so they are usually easy enough to remove if you spot them. Sometimes you might not see them, if they lay the eggs on the bottom side of the canopy top.
Are there any kinds that won't lay eggs?

Witchydesign

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could get a few rabbit snails. they only have one baby once a month or so. if you only got one it wouldn't cause a problem.. I have ramshorns and honestly I love them. They did get a bit crazy baby wise in the beginning but it evened out after a while. I do have to clean out old shells from time to time but otherwise they keep the tank sparkling clean (I have had the tank over a year and have NEVER wiped the glass, or needed too for that matter) They also pick up whatever my fish don't eat.. I like them. If you only got one Mystery snail you should be fine, just make sure you quarantine it just like you would a fish.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
New Fish in Town said:
Are there any kinds that won't lay eggs?
Nerites aren't suppose to be able to reproduce in freshwater tanks. Malaysian Trumpet Snails don't lay eggs, but they are live-bearers, so they still reproduce.

Witchydesign

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Forgot about Nerites lol. Just avoid the zigzag ones. Mine decided it was going to be terrestrial instead and kept climbing out and across the kitchen floor. My 3yr old kept bringing him to me. Lol.

FedoraWearingCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just stay far away from pond snails. They can compete with guppies for being the rabbits of the marine world. I had an infestation for years, they finally died off last summer by themselves. Other then that, snails can be useful little guys. And like others said, mystery snail eggs are a lot easier to find then pond snail eggs, as long as you are vigilant you should be fine. It's just the whole infestation that has turned me off from getting any snails ever.

Trisha Haarfield

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one nerite snail that I have had for 6 months now. It does not produce much waste. Has never laid eggs and cleans my 20 gallon well.

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

Trisha Haarfield

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Witchydesign said:
Forgot about Nerites lol. Just avoid the zigzag ones. Mine decided it was going to be terrestrial instead and kept climbing out and across the kitchen floor. My 3yr old kept bringing him to me. Lol.
I have a zigzag nerite. Never had a problem with it getting out. But it does like to be above water level alot

<3 LOVE MY FISH<3

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Witchydesign said:
You could get a few rabbit snails. they only have one baby once a month or so. if you only got one it wouldn't cause a problem.. I have ramshorns and honestly I love them. They did get a bit crazy baby wise in the beginning but it evened out after a while. I do have to clean out old shells from time to time but otherwise they keep the tank sparkling clean (I have had the tank over a year and have NEVER wiped the glass, or needed too for that matter) They also pick up whatever my fish don't eat.. I like them.
Not to hijack, but do your ramshorns live long? I find shells all the time but my population is still fine. All sorts of sizes too. Wonder why this is. They have no predators in the tank and their setup is ideal for them (plants, calcium supplements, good food, etc)

but to get back to the thread, the only "explosion" of snails that most people refer to our from MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) and pond/bladder snails. But usually these even out and can be controlled somewhat. I agree that nerites are ideal for algae cleanup. My horned nerites have never layed eggs for some reason. Mystery snails are pretty, but also heavy waste producers. Very entertaining as well...for a snail.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MJDuti said:
but to get back to the thread, the only "explosion" of snails that most people refer to our from MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) and pond/bladder snails. But usually these even out and can be controlled somewhat.
This is true. Shortly after I got my MTS, there became an over abundance of them. I really started to question my wisdom because like FedoraWearingCory I pretty much hated snails and had sworn off of snails for a very long time. I liked the sound of the burrowing habits of the MTS. I don't like to see a lot of snails, and I HATE snail eggs, but thought I'd give MTS a try, and so when I had the population explosion, I was not a happy camper, but suddenly their numbers started dropping off, and have leveled out to something that really works well. I almost never see any in the daytime, or very, very few if I do. At night after lights off, they all come out and it's pretty cool. So I went from hating snails to really appreciating my MTS. Now I wouldn't be without them.

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I went in petsmart tonight and decided not to buy one because you could see very small snails everywhere. Their snails were in a tank about the size of mine.

BlazeFlamer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Buy some ramshorns kerp pop down by removing egg sacs and if a total wipeout is needed just put some salt in

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Snails hate salt

But it would be better to give them to your lfs

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom