Snails and oxygen?

1. Stephani19 Member Member

So I posted a few weeks ago about what I can use as a pre-filter to avoid my snails getting sucked in (lost one snail to this) and you guys suggested sponges I can slide overtop. I found these perfect sponges, I think they were an aquaclear foam something, and they had a hole already cut out in it. Thinking I won the lottery I went home and put them on my filter intakes. Unfortunately the sponge was too big for one filter.

Sooo, being busy lately I failed to go back into the LFS to find something new, and my other mystery snail was sucked in. I immediately turned off the filter and he was stuck for sure. I assisted him off the filter intake and placed him in a breeding box for safety and convenience.

Now. He's rather injured and hasn't done much.

I have a few questions,

1) How long can he go without feeding? (He ate a small piece of algae wafer in the past week while injured)

2) I know snails require oxygen, but how often should I bring him above the water and for how long?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Is this a mystery snail? Is he sucked up into his shell with the trapdoor shut? In that case, I would say don't bother him, because I had a snail once that also suffered the filter fate and got her wee head sucked into the filter for a while. When I unplugged the filter she took a few minutes to get herself out, and then fell to the bottom where she curled up. She didn't move for a day or two so I took her out to see if she was dead and she sucked her trapdoor in tight. So I just let her sit. She didn't eat or move at all for a week and then suddenly one day she was up cruising the tank like nothing had happened.

I recommend filter floss and rubber bands, if you can't find a sponge to fit :) or at least as a temporary fix.

3. Stephani19 Member Member

Thanks! When I did a water change, the water went flush with the bottom of the breeder box, exposing him to air. He came right out of his shell and started sucking in the air. A few minutes later, he was actually crawling around. I'm thinking he might be ready for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I may be misunderstanding something, but are you wondering if your mystery snails needs to be able to access the surface for 02? Again, I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your post.

Mystery snails are aquatic and extremely hardy (IME). They require the same things as fish (stable water parameters), but do surprisingly well in water that does not have much available O2. While some snails have gills (like my awesome nerites!) and other fish have lungs (ramshorn snails), mystery snails are pretty fantastic in that they have both lungs and gills. No need to raise him up to the surface for air. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Sometimes snails will lay dormant after a "traumatic" experience. For example, when transferring from one tank to another, snails may sit in the same spot for days!

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

Getting back to the sponges.....I use AC sponges and cut them so that there is roughly an inch on each side and the bottom. I then grow some plants in front to hide them.