Snails and Loaches Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Dean, Mar 27, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

I am starting an 55 gal odd ballish theme. I'm looking into using play sand for the substrate and heard that having Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great for stirring up the sand. Problem is I was planning to have about 5 Polka-Dot Loaches in my tank.

So, the question is, can I use MT-Snails to stir the sand and have Loaches in the tank. I know the Loaches will eat the snail but they[Snail] breed really fast so if I got a lot of snails it would be for fish food and sand stirring benefits. Although it seems to be extremely purposeful for tank reasons, isn't that kind of inhumane for the snail to be "used" for that purpose. Your thoughts?

I see you looking... Who's has some input? :;dete

:animal0068:Hello. I merged your posts since they were back to back. It helps to save some space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The snails only breed fast if they are consistantly overfed. The botia loaches do eat snails. I plan to get a little play beach rake and rake the sand, as this is an issue I too am facing.

How'd you know I was looking?

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

When I had MTS together with loaches I didn't have too much problem with them eating them. They are so tiny it's hard for the loaches to get ahold of them.
    MTS are livebearers and produce approx one live snail baby a month so if their not over fed they shouldn't produce more but I love them in my sand tanks.
    So jaysee your botia ate the MTS? Maybe mine were getting too much food to make it worth wrestling a MTS LOL
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    D

I kind of want the snails to reproduce to stir the sand and be a food supply. Does it not work like that.
    Jaysee said that Botia don't really eat loaches, is that true and if that is true will MT-snail run wild in my tank?

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have MTS in all of my tanks. They don't over populate as easily as other snails because they produce so many fewer baby snails than other snails.
    They also usually stay hidden in the substrate during the day time and come out during the night so you may never see them.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    D

Will Polka-Dot Loaches eat the snails? And, is their other snails that would do a good job stirring up the sand? and that Polka-Dots will eat?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice