Snails and crabs don’t last

Steve34k

Valued Member
Reaction score
My snails and hermits don’t last long. Keep dying off.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Steve34k

Valued Member
Reaction score
72 bowfront. 60+ lbs live rock. Protein skimmer. Had a hob filter recently removed. Hung reactor on back instead. Monthly 30% water change. Recently had cyano issue. One of you’ll recommended ultra life. Killed most everything. 1 fish left. Got it back clean and going. Parameters look good In range. Do not check phosphate. But they have never lasted more than a month. Snails hermits. Last emerald crab just died. 2 fish in tank

Put phosban in the reactor

Tried first corals before crash. Killed them also

Looking back. You recommended the ultra life. I followed directions. Did 50% water change after 48hr. Ammonia spiked destroyed me

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear about the red slime remover killing your critters. I’ve never had that happen to me and used it for 16 years. Likely what happened is you didn’t increase the oxygen level and the oxygen dropped killing the fish causing the ammonia spike or the protein skimmer collection cup overflowed with junk in it and caused the ammonia spike. Oxidation reactions use up a lot of oxygen.

Back to the problem at hand. I’d say 30% water changes monthly is sorely lacking. I did 20-25% weekly and that’s normally what’s recommended. I’d up the water changes.
What does water parameters look good in range mean? You should have 0 ammonia and nitrites and as close to 0 as possible nitrates. Anything over 10-20 is bad in a marine tank especially if you want to keep corals.
Clean up crew critters don’t normally last too long and need to be replenished but these seem to die more rapidly in your case than normal. 6-12 months is normal for most small critters like that.
60+ lbs of live rock should be adequate and you should not need your HOB filter. Do you have powerhead going for extra flow?
What does your live rock look like? Post a picture? Is it white with not much life or does it have algae and other stuff growing on it?
What reactor did you add and what media are you using?
Do you test any parameters? If so what and what are the results and what test kits?
What’s your salinity and how do you test hydrometer or refractometer?
How about fresh water top offs how often?
How are you acclimating the CUC. Some are sensitive to changes.
Are you using RODI water or tap water?
Are you feeding your clean up crew? Is there any left over food bits for them to scavenge on?
What fish do you have and do you see them picking on the CUC?

Steve34k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most I’ve read is 25% monthly. Parameters are close to zero now. Back to where I was. Some snails and hermits have lasted a few months. I’ll try to increase water change

Some snails are just stupid can’t flip back over. I try to avoid those

AquaPhilNJ

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had an issue where my snails died off because I was using a GFO reactor, and carbon reactor and I was a light feeder. I suspect phosphate and nutrients were so slow the snails died. I took off GFO reactor, for different reasons later the carbon, then got snails again. Issue seems fixed. Even without the GFO or carbon reactor my Phosphate is still reading zero, been 0 long time.
Using salifert phosphate test kit (ok not great), but next time will get Hanna Ultra low phosphate test kit.

If you're also a light feeder and fish seems to always eat the food then hermits may died off. My fish will eat all pellets and the pellets sitting on the sand. Be mindful if the hermits are eating. I also bought them extra shells, from reefcleaners website.

good luck : - ]

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads