snails and copper sulfate

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought some algae wafers and gave my snails one. I put it in their tank either Thursday or Friday and it's been there until Saturday night. They are in a small plastic box waiting for my tank to be tested tomorrow to see if the water is OK. Will that one tablet kill them? I had some MTS and some pond snails and 1 ramhorn. Also had alot of eggs, will it hurt them? How long should a new tank cycle before I can add snails?

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hiya!

I replace the algae waffers every meal regardless of whether they are eaten or not. Before long, there will be more algae waffer floating around polluting the tank than there is being eaten. Algae wafers can increase ammonia, just like any other food decay. I siphon up leftovers in the morning, and pop a fresh one in of a night.

Also had alot of eggs, will it hurt them?
The snails had eggs? Some other form of fish egg? Chicken egg shells? *shrugs*

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You made no mention of copper sulfate in your post.....are you using it to kill off your snails?

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had bought the algae wafers to feed my snails which I had in a little "critter Keeper" a little box used to keep hermit crabs and other small animals for travel etc. I have never heard that the copper/copper sulfate will harm or kill fish or inverts. The box was small, maybe 3x4x5 inches and was half full of water. I do not want to kill the snails. The eggs were snail eggs on the rocks and side of the little box.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Good morning. The link above states that copper can be fatal to your snails (under water conditions) I feed my snails fresh zucchini and cucumbers. I slice it, weight it down and drop it in the tanks.

Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what kind of algae wafers do you have? i think some may contain copper sulfate. i have the ones by haraki whatever the name is. my snails and corys really like them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too use hikari.

Some algae wafers have copper in them, but they tend to be at the bottom of the quality ladder.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's the Wardley brand.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jeniferdwn said:
It's the Wardley brand.
There are some much better foods out there. Hikari is accepted as being one of the best.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had no idea about the copper sulfate or the brands when I bought them. I am trying to get a chance to go to the petstore on Thursday, so I can get several things including algae wafers.

Thanks Aquarist48 for the link. Lots of good info there.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn't know about the copper sulfate neither! I have 2 mystery snails and they loooove the Hikari algae wafers! I don't give them a whole "tablet" I cut it in small pieces and I throw them one little piece maybe twice a week, the other days I feed them zuchinni (that one I remove it the following day for sure) and lettuce. My snails share a filtered 3 gal tank with a betta and a tiny frog.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads