Snails And Bettas

Guanchy
Hello!

I have a tank that has a nerite snail and a betta. Its heavely planted 10 g nano tank. My betta never pays attention to the snail at all and for the most part the snail stays in the corners of the tank. I wanted to add an Apple Snail to that tank. Would you guys recommend that at all?
I'm afraid that the antennas of the apple snail might attract the betta.

has anybody kept them together successfully?

Fanatic
I think that'd be fine, never had any issues myself.

Repolie
Depends on the betta but I wouldn't because your betta probably won't recognize that it's a snail's antenna because he never saw it before and eat it. It also looks like a long delicious worm.

Rtessy
I have a snuderder betta (snail murderer) in one tank (killed every snail I put in), and in a tank 25 feet away I have a lot of baby mystery snails. Well, somehow one of those ended up in the betta tank, and the betta just ignores it, which is a shock.
If your betta attacks the antennae, one of two things will happen:
1. He will soon lose interest and let the mystery snail be
2. He does not lose interest. The snail will either tuck it's antennae and go around like that, or lose it's antennae and regrow them.
There won't be permanent damage either way, so I don't see why not.

GrumpyBetta
Just a few questions

What snails are good tank mates with a half-moon betta

Where do you get snails?

thank you!

BigManAquatics
I notice they sell them at petsmart/petco, and I believe I have also seen at the 2 LFS here in town. I have never got into snails myself, so know nothing on quality

wolfdog01
I personally love nerite snails. Red racer types are gorgeous, but you can get zebra, tiger, black racer, olive, etc. They don't reproduce in freshwater but they may lay eggs everywhere, which look like tiny grains of rice. If the tank is glass and flat, you can use a razor blade to scrape the eggs off. You'll want a lid too or some scratchy velcro around the edge of your tank, sometimes they like to escape. You can get nerites pretty much anywhere, in chain pet stores, fish stores, and online.

Dch48
Nerites are good and depending on the Betta, Mystery snails can be kept with them. Some Bettas will nip off the Mystery's feelers and maybe even their eyes but mine leaves them alone. Nerites are like little tanks and don't expose their soft spots nearly as much.

Gypsy13
Hello! Welcome to fishlore!
The nerites are cute. I love the mysteries though. Love their cousin the apple even more but they’re illegal.

BottomDweller
My favourite snails are rabbit snails. They have such cute faces. They need warmer water than a lot of fish (80f+) but are good with bettas. They do breed but very slowly. They have one baby roughly every month so don't really get out of control. They need to be fed vegetables. Mine like broccolI best.

EJohnson201912345
Looking to get some new snails for my 10 Gallon Tank??

I have a fairly limited LFS but will try to see if they have any of the suggested snails.

Thanks for your Help!

Guanchy
I have bettas with nerite snails and some with mystery snails. People will argue that mystery snails shouldnt be with bettas but I have always kept them together with no problem

EJohnson201912345
I have bettas with nerite snails and some with mystery snails. People will argue that mystery snails shouldnt be with bettas but I have always kept them together with no problem
Thanks! I will look and see if they have them in store.

jenmur
I have a nerite snail and some Ramshorn snails in with my betta. I also have a 10 gallon tank

EJohnson201912345
I have a nerite snail and some Ramshorn snails in with my betta. I also have a 10 gallon tank
Thanks! Will see if the have the Ramshorn Snails too!

jenmur
Thanks! Will see if the have the Ramshorn Snails too!

Welcome. Alrighty. Nerites eggs cannot hatch in fresh water. Ramshorn eggs hatch no problem.

Guanchy
Welcome. Alrighty. Nerites eggs cannot hatch in fresh water. Ramshorn eggs hatch no problem.
That’s the only problem with Nerites at least for me. They have laid eggs everywhere in my tanks and they will never hatch and they are so hard to take off wood and decorations etc

jenmur
That’s the only problem with Nerites at least for me. They have laid eggs everywhere in my tanks and they will never hatch and they are so hard to take off wood and decorations etc

I’ve been lucky with that. The two nerites I have had have been boys I guess since no eggs laid

EJohnson201912345
I’ve been lucky with that. The two nerites I have had have been boys I guess since no eggs laid
So I will not have a population Explosion if I got Nerites as they need Brackish Water for their eggs to hatch but what about Ramshorns - Will I be overrun with them within the week?

jenmur
So I will not have a population Explosion if I got Nerites as they need Brackish Water for their eggs to hatch but what about Ramshorns - Will I be overrun with them within the week?

Exactly. But your tank could become bedazzled with eggs. Ramshorn snails. Lots of people consider them pest snails but I like them. I’ve never been over run by them in my betta tank or my 55 community tank.

EJohnson201912345
Exactly. But your tank could become bedazzled with eggs. Ramshorn snails. Lots of people consider them pest snails but I like them. I’ve never been over run by them in my betta tank or my 55 community tank.
Thanks! Will have to think of what is better. Is they any way to remove the eggs or do they just dissolve into the water overtime??

jenmur
Thanks! Will have to think of what is better. Is they any way to remove the eggs or do they just dissolve into the water overtime??

Welcome . I do not know. I never have tried. I would assume they might be able to be scrapped off??

Elle2128
I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in with my betta. They seem to hide in the substrate most of the time, but they still keep the tank squeaky clean! I think they come out in the dark, cause the only time I really seem to see them is if I leave the light off but look in the day with the natural lighting. Haven't have any trouble with them overrunning the tank or anything.

Yale Kim
try malyasian trumpet snails

EJohnson201912345
try malyasian trumpet snails
I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in with my betta. They seem to hide in the substrate most of the time, but they still keep the tank squeaky clean! I think they come out in the dark, cause the only time I really seem to see them is if I leave the light off but look in the day with the natural lighting. Haven't have any trouble with them overrunning the tank or anything.
Thanks! I will look into them

Yale Kim
ok

aquafrogg
Hi! I personally also keep mystery snails with my betta in a 10 gallon. It just all depends on the betta's temperament, because more aggressive bettas will try to bite mystery snails' long feelers that wiggle like tasty worms. But, if you keep your betta well-fed and he isn't aggressive, then you should definitely look into them! My mama mystery snail had 3 clutches of eggs hatch over the past couple of weeks (don't worry, mystery snail eggs are laid in giant clutches above water so they are easy to remove if you don't want babies. Just pull 'em off and flush down the toilet!) and my betta doesn't even bother the babies.

Mysteries have TONS of personality and will eat nearly anything. Just make sure you give them a balanced diet and they should grow pretty fast. They do get to be around the size of a golf ball, though. It's just personal preference!

I would also like to advise against nerites if your tank doesn't have enough algae to sustain them. I've heard too many stories of nerite snails refusing any food but pure algae on the glass or decorations.

EJohnson201912345
Hi! I personally also keep mystery snails with my betta in a 10 gallon. It just all depends on the betta's temperament, because more aggressive bettas will try to bite mystery snails' long feelers that wiggle like tasty worms. But, if you keep your betta well-fed and he isn't aggressive, then you should definitely look into them! My mama mystery snail had 3 clutches of eggs hatch over the past couple of weeks (don't worry, mystery snail eggs are laid in giant clutches above water so they are easy to remove if you don't want babies. Just pull 'em off and flush down the toilet!) and my betta doesn't even bother the babies.

Mysteries have TONS of personality and will eat nearly anything. Just make sure you give them a balanced diet and they should grow pretty fast. They do get to be around the size of a golf ball, though. It's just personal preference!

I would also like to advise against nerites if your tank doesn't have enough algae to sustain them. I've heard too many stories of nerite snails refusing any food but pure algae on the glass or decorations.
Great! Thank you Very Much .

My Betta is not aggressive so it may be one to look into.

stevo3stevenz
I have a fairly aggressive plakat in a 10 gallon. Wondering if I could put a nerite snail in there without stressing either of them out too much. There are a bunch of live plants and a large piece of driftwood and a rock in there. Should I get a snail or no?

Attachments

• 15803236656891491385697656072122.jpg
    15803236656891491385697656072122.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 57
Salem
Snails are usually a pretty safe bet. If you're particularly worried I would get a smaller, darker nerite.

stevo3stevenz
Snails are usually a pretty safe bet. If you're particularly worried I would get a smaller, darker nerite.
Thanks! Just want my pets to be happy. And a snail would help clean up that driftwood a bit.

Cherie G
One betta I had used to harass my nerite, would bump him off of the aquarium glass and large rock that I had in there. Never seemed to hurt the snail but I figured I would re-home the snail to my other aquarium so he could have some peace and quiet. But many people have no issues so I say go for it.

mrsP
I have ramshorns, pond snails (didn't buy any of them) and MTS (that I did buy) and my bettas doesn't seem to be bothered. So in the end, depends on your betta.

TayShrum
I have a 5 gallon tank that has a very calm betta and an apple snail. Today I added a horned nerite snail since the other two were getting along swimmingly. Unknowingly, I accidentally got a tiny pond snail (it was about 1 cm long) and now I have lost it in the vastness of the 5 gallon tank. Where might the little thing be hiding? Do pond snails burrow? I think it was too big for the fish to eat and he was extremely uninterested in the snails even with the nerite being smaller. What should I do? Is the other snail okay to stay?

BigManAquatics
Ok til it starts to repopulate the tank in it's own image! Really, your choice if it stays or goes.

TayShrum
Ok til it starts to repopulate the tank in it's own image! Really, your choice if it stays or goes.
Any idea where it might be hiding?

BigManAquatics
Any idea where it might be hiding?
My guess is a plant or the inside of a decoration. That's where i would start at least.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettaLover89
Replies
Views
Sokamix
Replies