Snails and Algae

1. Borisbbadd Guest

I have been thinking of trying my hand at a low light planted aquarium.
    My wife has ordered me some Java Moss and some Java Fern.

Lately I have been reading alot about snails and algae hitch-hiking in with the plants. I was just wondering if this is a big problem, and something that I should be concerned about.

I know that snails sometimes do, the main thing I am wondering about is the algae.

Randy

2. Kerber23 Member Member

Both have been known to be show up. Just clean the plants when they arive in slow warm water, and look for jelly like blobs (eggs) and snails... most alg will take care of its self, at least mine did

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Boris. I received plants from a member here on line and it was suggested that I dip the plants (java moss and anubia) in hot (children be careful!) water for 5 seconds and immediately dip it in ice water for 5 seconds. I can't remember if the person had snails in their tanks or not, but I didn't get any critters or algae that I didn't want :) The plants are thriving today and I have done nothing special for them other than frequent water changes.
    Ken

4. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

YEs, rinse the plants before you add them to the tank if you do not want snails. I happen to like them yet you dont want them to take over either.:;snail

5. Robin4 Member Member

Hi Borisbbad,

I've heard that putting the plants in a seltzer water bath before putting them in your tank. You certainly should rinse them and quaranteen them for a few days before putting them in your tank. The snails can be helpful (and fun to watch) but keep your fish feeding under control as extra food makes them multiply! :)

Robin

6. Borisbbadd Guest

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Randy

7. Jark Initiate Member

I have found snails (at least rams horn snails) to be a blessing. They kept algae off my leaves.

8. Master Yoda Member Member

From another thread on this site about getting new plants Mod. Butterfly wrote: "This piece of Anubias Coffefolia had some algae on it so I soaked it in Peroxide(like you use for cuts) first and rinsed. If you don't rinse good and peroxide gets in your tank it is perfectly ok. The peroxide will combine with the water and make... water "

I don't know what the peroxide does to snails, but apparently it gets rid of algae.

9. Borisbbadd Guest

I've been reading about soaking the plants in a 20-1 water and bleach solution for 10 minutes, and then soaking in fresh water with declorinater for 20 minutes.
    It's supposed to kill all the algae, snails, parasites, and bacteria, but might also kill the plant.

The peroxide idea might not be so bad, especially if it gets rid of the algae. I'm sort of undecided about snails. I think they could be kind of cool, as long as they don't get out of control.

Randy