Snails acting really weird, fish dying.

Melic

I'm sorry if I post this wrong, I'm very new and I've never posted before. I tried searching for this but it's so weird that I don't know how to even make a search for it. I have a 75 gallon that I have had zero problems with for over a year. I do regular water changes and test my water weekly. It is heavily planted and has some driftwood and Sairyu stone that was used in other tanks before. A few weeks ago I rescaped my tank and and ever since then I've been having a ton of problems. I boiled the driftwood for a LONG time before I put it in to get the tannins out. The rocks were washed and have been used in other tanks before so I don't think there was anything there. All of the materials I used were either specifically made for aquariums or stuff I've used in the past that I know is safe. Three things have happened. First my baby Black Knife fish died (RIP Phillip. I was very attached to him and yes he was going into a bigger tank eventually but he was only 3 inches long). I also had three clouded archers that I had for about a year and a foot long pleco (also about to be moved to a 300 gallon) that I've had for 3 years and a gagillion little snails that I am too much of a softie to dispose of. They all lived together fine and I saw zero aggression. Two days after I rescaped the tank I started having issues. First the BKF died. I assumed the pleco killed him because every now and then he just doesn't like a fish and I have to move it to another tank (he's kind of a jerk). He had no wounds or any fungus/splotchiness or ripped fins, but it would be hard to tell because he is so dark. None of the other fish seemed to be having any issues so I assumed someone killed him. Then the archers started acting funny. I pulled them out and put them in a hospital tank and dosed them with general fish meds. Tested the water (API master test and KH/GH), did a big change, then tested again. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The next day the archers started to have what looked like white fungus on them. I did a concentrated dip. Did another big water change and dosed the tank. Again testing parameters in between then again at the end of the night just to make sure. The archers died the next day, right before they died they turned upsidedown and started panting, they also seemed to have reddish gills and what almost looked like fin rot (this happened in two days, I obsessively watch my fish and I would have noticed fin rot or nipped fins). The hospital tank had an airstone and a small heater heater in it, I also tested that water and it was fine. I even tried putting them in water from my oldest healthiest tank as a last ditch. During all this time, the pleco is totally fine. He is really hardy but when he gets upset he gets really splotchy and he looked fine. I've continued to monitor the parameters and do 30ish% water changes daily for about a week. I've stopped adding any plant ferts or anything else that might cause any spikes, but I was not heavily dosing before.

Now the weird one, all my snails have gathered together in a couple locations and are kind of hanging out of their shells like they are looking up. They are alive, I checked, just hanging out. Many of them are kind of encircling the pleco who has one spot he usually lays around in, it looks so weird (do my snails worship the pleco why are they doing this?!) They have stopped eating and don't really move from their spots. Not all of the snails are doing this, there are some still acting normal (same type of snails) but the majority are. The pleco has stopped eating some foods like algae wafers and zucchini which is usually his favorite, but will still eat tubifex worms. He also doesn't seem to be pooping much, but he isn't eating much so that might be why. He doesn't seem sick, he's breathing normally and will swim around at night like usual, doesn't look bloated or skinny. No gasping at the top or anything like that. All my other tanks have the same kinds of wood, rocks and plants from the same sources and they are all super healthy. So to me it seems like there are different things going on, bad water, bacterial or fungal infection, but I've tested the water over and over and not all of the fish/inverts are being affected in the same way so I'm hesitant to go super hard on anything because I don't want to change too much stuff all at once. If you made it this far I appreciate it, I know it was long but I was trying to give as much detail as possible. If anyone has any ideas or has seen something like this before I'd be really happy to try it. I'm sure it's something stupid I am doing.

Other info:
Filter: Oase thermo canister with seachem matrix that is well cycled, I also added a little seachem stability after the large water changes just in case
Temp: Usually stays around 73-74ish
Substrate: sand and seachem planted tank substrate (substrate was new but I've used the same stuff before)
Dosed with: Antibiotics and anti-fungals, a small bit of epsom salt today because my water is on the soft side but it always has been and it's never bothered anyone.
I run CO2 during the day and an airstone all the time, I do have a CO2 drop checker to make sure there isn't too much.
I also pulled a bunch of snails out today and put them in a hospital tank with water from another tank which I'm going to monitor to see if that fixes the issue.

Marlene327

I don't know what to guess, but just curious what kind of snails you have. Not that is has anything to do with the problem; I'm just curious. I'm so sorry this happened. To have a good tank and make some changes, and this happens... it's scary because we never know when it's US.

Upvote 0

Melic

I don't know what to guess, but just curious what kind of snails you have. Not that is has anything to do with the problem; I'm just curious. I'm so sorry this happened. To have a good tank and make some changes, and this happens... it's scary because we never know when it's US.
Exactly, I feel like I'm failing my little buddies. I don't really know what kind they are. They are the little ones you get when you are lazy like me and don't dip your plants before you put them in. Most are pretty small but some have gotten maybe half an inch in diameter. I also have a few assassin snails that I got initially to help control the population. I can't really control the extra food too well because the pleco likes to graze so they always end up eating his food before he knocks them off. Eventually I just gave up and started caring for them too.

Upvote 1

Marlene327

Exactly, I feel like I'm failing my little buddies. I don't really know what kind they are. They are the little ones you get when you are lazy like me and don't dip your plants before you put them in. Most are pretty small but some have gotten maybe half an inch in diameter. I also have a few assassin snails that I got initially to help control the population. I can't really control the extra food too well because the pleco likes to graze so they always end up eating his food before he knocks them off. Eventually I just gave up and started caring for them too.
I used to hate pest snails and didn't want them at ALL. Bought a bunch of assassins and when I'd find them in my large tank, I dropped them over in the other tank. Then I realized how much work the "pests" were doing in the tank, keeping plants clean, and found a new respect for them. So now I just throw a FEW over to the assassins. That tank is pretty clean, I only notice a few crawling around.

Usually those snails live through about anything, so to see them acting strange is scary.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

" I boiled the driftwood for a LONG time before I put it in to get the tannins out. "

what did you boil the driftwood in? any chance there was some kind of residue left in it from beforehand ?

Upvote 0

Melic

" I boiled the driftwood for a LONG time before I put it in to get the tannins out. "

what did you boil the driftwood in? any chance there was some kind of residue left in it from beforehand ?
I just boiled it in a big stock pot. I have actually used the same driftwood from the same company without boiling it at all and it didn't cause any problems I really only boiled it because I left it outside over night in the rain and didn't want it to get any bacteria in my tank. I keep thinking that maybe it didn't kill all the bacteria but I boiled it for like 5 hours so I don't think any bacteria would have survived that. But who knows? Maybe boiling it released some weird sap or something? I don't know how wood works....I've honestly never seen anything like this in any of my tanks. The whole chain of events is just bizarre.
I used to hate pest snails and didn't want them at ALL. Bought a bunch of assassins and when I'd find them in my large tank, I dropped them over in the other tank. Then I realized how much work the "pests" were doing in the tank, keeping plants clean, and found a new respect for them. So now I just throw a FEW over to the assassins. That tank is pretty clean, I only notice a few crawling around.

Usually those snails live through about anything, so to see them acting strange is scary.
Totally the same, they keep my tank so clean that I kind of started to love them. They really only bothered me because they made it hard to gravel vac when they were all over the place. I just feed them in the same spot now and clean while they are getting their grub on. And yeah, when my snails and the tank of a pleco start acting funny, I worry because they are tough little critters.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Evercrisp
Replies
Views
lmfranks
  • Question
Replies
Views
Plecokindness