Snails, a little help please?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by platymum2801, Jul 26, 2015.

1. platymum2801

platymum2801Valued MemberMember

Hi, I added some elodea to a small tank a couple of weeks ago and today I noticed three snails crawling up the side. I probably haven't noticed them before because they're perfectly camouflaged to the gravel! (Little buggers). Anyway it's a 17L temporary tank that they're in, housing 3 platy and some elodea only. I have a new 110L tank which is currently being set up and cycled, which the platy but not the elodea will be moved to. My question is, what type of snail are they, if possible to tell from my pics, and, can they/would they climb out the tank and breed in my house? I have never dealt with snails before so any info would be helpful. Should I add a couple to my new tank or not? I spotted about 6 or 7 after scouring the tank this morning, I later did a water change which 5 came out in, which I disposed of, then scoured the tank again and still spotted another 6 or 7. Do I have a problem already or is it not too much to worry about?! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437912054.372834.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437912081.854412.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437912114.383395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

The second picture is a bladder snail, the third looks like a ramshorn but I can't tell from the angle. They won't crawl out and reproduce as they're fully aquatic. They will however reproduce like crazy in your tank. If you don't mind having 100 of them at some point then sure, go ahead and add a couple. If you don't want tons of snails on your hands I would remove them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Ok, thank you! That's what I thought. I had just read elsewhere online that snails can be harmless and sometimes beneficial to a tank so I thought I'd get an opinion or two. I'd rather have none than hundreds and stick to pleco or loaches or shrimp or some sort for the "beneficial cleaning addition" to the tank if you know what I mean. Should I try and eliminate them from my small tank now or just do that after I transfer my platy and empty it? Is there any particular precaution I should take to stop transferring the snails when I home my platy in the 110L? I will not be adding anything else from the tank, just the fish.

4. aquaman86Valued MemberMember

Yes, the third one looks very much like a ramshorn. I started with about 5 and now I have hundreds of them.

5. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

:( Never mind. I've been removing them when I see them and during water changes. Will keep them down best I can but its not the biggest disaster I could have in my tank I suppose! As long as the tank and its inhabitants are healthy! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice