Snailing off into the sunset...

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Altaira, Jul 23, 2015.

1. A

Altaira New Member Member

. I just went to check out a lfs, but the gourami tanks had ich, and one had 2 dead fish. So I won't be buying fish there. But I have been wanting some mts and I bought two...except they are actually assassin snails. Grumble grumble.

2. shadowfish

shadowfish Well Known Member Member

they do look the same and a tip in the future most pet stores dont sell MTS they have them as a problem pest so if you find some just ask and they will probably be happy to give you some.

3. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

+1, MTS are usually given for free or a bulk for a cheap price.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Actually MTS and Assassins are not similar in the way they look.

Mts are long and slender, usually a grayish tint to the shell

Assassins are Black and Yellow, more rounder with less of a point to their tail.

If you have any other snails in your tank, I would suggest you take them back, or they will eat them all ( unless thats wht you want ) Assassins need a constant supply of food - they are carnivorous AND they do multiply. Usually eggs around 25-50 each time.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I have no other snails, except accidental pond snails, but what will the assassins eat when they run out? Will they politely die off?

6. OP
    OP
    A

The worker bee on duty knew nothing about fish, or snails apparently. Snails were a buck each, so cheap enough. Never saw an assassin snail before, hence my confusion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice