Snail? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Purchased Java fern and Java Moss from my LFS the other day. Today I noticed a little peach colored snail on my glass. I guess he hitchhiked in with the plants. How do I identify him? I was going to try to take a picture of him but now I can't find him.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

My guess would be ramshorn. Once you have them, you will always have them. Nothing wrong with it. They are a good indicator if you are over feeding. If you have a lot of them, you're over feeding. If you hardly notice them, your feeding just right. Just about everyone who has a planted tank has snails. You have to treat the plants before you add them if you want a snail free tank. But like I said, once you have them, you will never get rid of them. I have had tanks sit empty and dry for months. Set them up and bam, snails...

4. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

But they aren't considered the nuisance snails are they? If they are good what do they do? Will they eat my plants? How do I treat my plants?

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ive got a ton, they dont eat my plants. Well mine have developed a taste for duckweed which honestly, i dont mind at all lol. Just the roots though... Odd. Anyways i like mine. Tanks never been cleaner. They are only a nuisance if you think they are. I personally love mine. They get cucumber on occasion :) [​IMG]