Snail! 90 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Abalisa, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Abalisa

Abalisa Valued Member Member

Noticed that my lilies were looking poorly lately, thought it was because i had cut down on the excel. But this am i saw this on the glass, it is big enough i that i saw it while walking by in a mostly dark house! It's white and about the size of my pinky. How could i have missed this? Nothing has been added to the tank in months.

Can pond snails be white? Will get a better look after work with the lights on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if pond snails in particular can be white but I know mts can be in many different shades. Does look like a pond snail to me, a big one though! I'm assuming you meant your pinky nail not your whole pinky. ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Abalisa

Yes, but it is actually a little bigger than my nail! I havent had much luck on google but also at work so not much time...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

4. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Okay I only really know my basic snails. Among the different types I house, I do have pond snails.... and mine, in particular don't look like that! Yes, they can come in many colors..... some uglier than others :D ...... but the shell shape of that picture is what is throwing me for a loop. It looks, kinda of pointed at the shell curl? Not as pointy as a MTS, for example..... but it almost reminds me of a Japanese Trapdoor Snail. I can't tell by your picture very well..... but how big is it? If you did mean, pinky nail.... then I guess that's not that big. But if it's your whole pinky...... man, I've got some big pond snails, but not that big!!!

5. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

looks like some type of bladder snail. do you have anything in the tank that would react badly to loaches, assasin snails, or copper (only if you want to get rid of the snails)

6. OP
    OP
    Abalisa

from my googling this am I was guessing bladder snail too. Maybe white because of no calcuim in the water? I would say it's just under 1/2 an inch long. I was getting ready for work so I took the pic with my phone, came back about 3 min later and he was at the top, so whatever it is it's fast too.

Had a pond snail infestation in my old betta tank, the shell seems a little longer than those. I'm just flabbergasted that as much as I look at the tank everyday I haven't seen it until now. The last thing added was a rainbow shark months ago!

7. Matt B

It may be that it looks different because "pond snail" is a blanket term used for alot of different snails, one of which is bladder snails.

8. OP
    OP
    Abalisa

Thank you Matt, I did not know that. Will probably just let it go and see what happens, kinda surprised it hasn't been eaten in my tank yet! The only pond snails I have experience with were little mottled brown pests!

9. Matt B

No problem, if I recall correctly, bladder snails shells spiral to the left and "pond snails" to the right. Again, alot of people don't differentiate and consider them all "pond snails".

10. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I have never seen something like that... looks like an albino pond snail xD would you be able to get a better picture of him/her?

11. Matt B

Yay! Now you have a good snail member here. :) You should be squared away in no time.

12. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

I was thinking albino bladder snail but googling hasn't come up with a definitive answer. The shell does look a little like an ear snail which is one of the many in the pond snail family. Normally the very white ones are albino but land snails.

Better pictures would definitely help :)

13. monkeypie102

If you're talking about me, I'm flattered! If not... meh

Also I think it could be a tadpole snail...

14. Quinn_Lamb98

i am fairly certain only the acute bladder snail has a shell that goes to the left

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have Pond or Bladder snails in my 33g long and some of them also have a white shell. I keep egg shells in the filter for calcium supplement. Too, they eat zucchini which is said to be high in calcium. I don't know that a lack of calcium is the cause of the white shell. I do not test for calcium.

Ken

16. monkeypie102

That does look a lot like an acute bladder snail (if you Google it have your child safety thing on)

As for the white I think it is okay it has a white shell so long as it doesn't look like there are mini craters forming. If you think about it there are Mystery Snails that have white shells and are perfectly normal (Pearl Mystery Snail as an example)

17. Matt B

Thank you for the clarification. :)

18. Quinn_Lamb98

no problem, i do alot of research when i can narrow down what inverts i have.

19. OP
    OP
    Abalisa

Have seen my little buddy a few more times including last night. But today I noticed his empty shell lying on the floor of the tank. Does that mean the fish got him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice