Snail with my betta?

Sokamix

Hello guys! So I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank and wanted to add some snails to help with the algae that is currently growing in it. I was thinking of getting a couple nerite snails. What do I use to give the snails calcium? Don’t really know what product to buy for that. And can I feed them only algae wafers or does it have to be varied? Thx

AlphaFish

As long as there's not too many snails, you don't need to give them calcium. I don't give calcium to mine.

Before you add them, test your betta's temperament with a bladder/ramshorn/pond snail. They are great test buddies.

Sokamix

As long as there's not too many snails, you don't need to give them calcium. I don't give calcium to mine.

Before you add them, test your betta's temperament with a bladder/ramshorn/pond snail. They are great test buddies.
Oh ok I won’t worry about it. Oh yeah that’s a really good idea I have a pond right outside with some bladder snails. Thanks!! Also, can I only feed them algae thins and Occasional veggies?

AlphaFish

yes. just make sure that the veggies are ok. I feed my snails cucumber and/or lettuce once every 1 or 2 weeks.

Sokamix

yes. just make sure that the veggies are ok. I feed my snails cucumber and/or lettuce once every 1 or 2 weeks.
Ok how often do I feed them wafers?

AlphaFish

I don't know about wafers, I've heard nerites don't really go for wafers.

Sokamix

I don't know about wafers, I've heard nerites don't really go for wafers.
Sorry, I’m trying to learn about them and can’t really find much on google. So how often and what do I feed 2?

AlphaFish

You can do a cucumber slice once every week and a half. I microwave them before adding them to the tank.

Sokamix

You can do a cucumber slice once every week and a half. I microwave them before adding them to the tank.
Ok wow that’s less Than I thought! Sound like they are easy!

AlphaFish

Well, the cucumber is just an extra. They mostly live off algae so you need that in your tank. There's not a lot of algae in my tank so they also eat uneaten fish food.
Tough also dropping in an algae wafer weekly would be cool if you wanted to be sure. I don't have nerites, I only have bladders and ramshorns, but I assume there's not a huge diff

Sokamix

Well, the cucumber is just an extra. They mostly live off algae so you need that in your tank. There's not a lot of algae in my tank so they also eat uneaten fish food.
Ohh ok so I don’t have that much… so what do I do

AlphaFish

algae wafers, veggies, uneaten food.

AlphaFish

no problem mate

betta06

Hello guys! So I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank and wanted to add some snails to help with the algae that is currently growing in it. I was thinking of getting a couple nerite snails. What do I use to give the snails calcium? Don’t really know what product to buy for that. And can I feed them only algae wafers or does it have to be varied? Thx
nerate snails are the best at cleaning algae you don't need to feed them anything and they wont breed in freshwater also my bettas have never bothered them and do pick on other snails so they seem to make a great tank mate and clean algae like crazy!

AlphaFish

nerate snails are the best at cleaning algae you don't need to feed them anything and they wont breed in freshwater also my bettas have never bothered them and do pick on other snails so they seem to make a great tank mate and clean algae like crazy
Yes, they do eat mostly algae, but at some point that algae runs out so it's good to feed them once in a while.

betta06

Yes, they do eat mostly algae, but at some point that algae runs out so it's good to feed them once in a while.
they actually don't eat veggies! and usually in a 10 gallon you can have 2 without it running out although I agree you have to be careful not to have to many since they eat a lot.

AlphaFish

My snails love veggies. Nerites are pickier, but I still reccomend trying to feed them.

mattgirl

I only have bladders and ramshorns, but I assume there's not a huge diff
There is a difference in the eating habits of these snails and nerites. My ramshorns will eat anything but nerites eat mostly algae and bio-film. They may eat algae wafers if there is nothing else to eat but I wouldn't depend on them surviving on algae wafers alone.
Oh ok I won’t worry about it. Oh yeah that’s a really good idea I have a pond right outside with some bladder snails. Thanks!! Also, can I only feed them algae thins and Occasional veggies?
Unless you really want bladder snails in this tank I wouldn't recommend you test out your bettas temperament by adding any. Once in there it is often difficult to get all of them back out. It might be better to just leave them in your pond.

betta06

My snails love veggies. Nerites are pickier, but I still recommend trying to feed them.
yeah I have a rabbit snail and he eats boiled veggies like crazy lol

mattgirl

yeah I have a rabbit snail and he eats boiled veggies like crazy lol
Mine too as do my mysteries and ramshorns. Nerites seem to be the odd man (snail) out :D

Lilthuglet

I don't want to be a negative nelly but one of my Bettas nearly killed a nerite snail by attacking it. I know a lot of people keep them together fine, and my other Betta is super chill and fine with the pest snails in his tank. But Ben is a grumpy git and will attack anything from a pest snail to my hand if I put it in the tank. (Which is adorable :D).

*Edited to add my point... I'd keep a close eye when you first put them in for any aggressive behaviour.

Sokamix

I don't want to be a negative nelly but one of my Bettas nearly killed a nerite snail by attacking it. I know a lot of people keep them together fine, and my other Betta is super chill and fine with the pest snails in his tank. But Ben is a grumpy git and will attack anything from a pest snail to my hand if I put it in the tank. (Which is adorable :D).

*Edited to add my point... I'd keep a close eye when you first put them in for any aggressive behaviour.
Yes of course I’m going to monitor them to make sure he doesn’t harm the snail

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
grapebats