Snail Tank 50 Gallon Tank

1. Seasugar

Seasugar New Member Member

I have a 50 gallon fresh water tank with 36 mystery snails (blue, golden, jade, magenta and Ivory colors), one Cory cat and one nerite snail currently living in it. Everybody is doing well. I don't have live plants since I don't want ride along pond snails in my tank since I wouldn't know how to get rid of them without harming my mystery snails. So...I've got plastic plants. My tank looks like a regular fish tank but with snails. :) My snails are spoiled. They are only fed algae tablets, snail jello, and I blanch them veggies which I keep in the tank at all times with so many. I want to make sure everybody is fed. :) I've always loved fish. I had gold fish in the tank prior and decided to add a snail. The goldfish have since been moved to a large pond since they out grew my tank. I researched why the snails I've bought in the past didn't survive very long. I was shocked at what I didn't know about snails and that's how my snail tank came to be.

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a cool tank! Very few people set up such large tanks for inverts, so it's great to see it done!

I would add 5-6 more cories, though. They do best in shoals, and I think you'll see a lot more personality and activity out of them if you keep them in shoals.

Can we see a pic?

3. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above.

4. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I'm waiting on pictures ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

I will do that!! I don't want my Cory cat to get lonely. I'm learning the site but I will get pictures posted asap.

6. Adriifu

7. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

As best I know. I've researched everything to death and I make sure their PH doesn't drop below 7.6 (sometimes a bit higher), no copper in the water according to the testing. I do water changes which includes cleaning the gravel with a cobra line. I treat the water I then add back to the tank with conditioner. I'm learning snails and so far have only lost 3 but that was to my filter grabbing them so I created a skirt around it so they didn't get near the suction. With having so many in the tank I feed them snail jello, collard greens (blanched) seedless cucumbers, Spinach (blanched) and I add algae to the tank. My back glass is black so it's covered in algae that I never clean off. I'm learning but so far so good. Always open to any advice.

8. Adriifu

And there's no ammonia or nitrites, right?

9. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

That I can't answer since I don't have the test for it but I will find out asap. I'm averaging cleaning the tank and gravel every two weeks with a 50 percent water change. I found it easier to remove water and remove the snails to the water (they already live in) so I didn't accidentally hit them with the cobra tube. I then add them back to the water after I've treated it. Since I have so many snails and they are messy I change a lot at the time. Not sure if that's good or bad. I will get the tests for the ammonia and nitrites.

10. Adriifu

With such a high bio-load, I would suggest performing 50-80% water changes weekly instead of every two weeks and using Prime to detoxify any possible ammonia. Let us know the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Chewy.com has an API Master Test Kit that's pretty cheap. Good luck :)

11. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

Hang with me. I'm learning the site and I'll get the pics posted as soon as I get all this figured out. :)

12. Adriifu

All right :) Would you like some articles to help you out with the nitrogen cycle or are you familiar with it?

13. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

I'll do that. I've been using Prime when I do water changes so maybe that's why I've been lucky with the every two week water changes. I was nervous with changing out so much every week since I've been removing the snails so I can clean the gravel and was scared of stressing them out. I'm wondering if I can change just the water one week, then change the water AND clean the gravel the next week. That would only make them being taken out the tank every two weeks. I have no problem doing it all every week if the snails can handle it.

14. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

Yes. My tank has actually been running for years now. It's well established. I originally had three goldfish, one cory cat, 1 mystery snail and one nerite snail living in the tank. I removed the goldfish since they needed more room. I didn't tear the tank down. I did my water change and cleaned the gravel as usual and gradually added snails. I've had fish tanks for years but this is my first "snail tank" I suppose you could call it. Also first time I've had a tank this stocked. Which is over stocked in my opinion but the fault lies with me on that. I've got a 30 gallon I'm going to set up so I can move some of these snails into it.

15. Adriifu

All right. Just let us know the parameters when you get them.

16. OP
    OP
    Seasugar

Hey Everyone!! My tank is about as perfect as it can get it! I have snails laying eggs...no ammonia, no copper and ph at 7.6. Changing water (50 percent one week, 80 percent the next) and cleaning the gravel in different sections every week with my python hose. Snails are looking good, getting huge and eating well. I'm feeding them veggies and algae pellets. Here's the thing....they are laying eggs. After about two weeks the eggs break loose and fall in the tank!! I have an acrylic tank (if that makes a difference) with a double filter and a bubblier going all the time. I don't have the light on too much since some have wanted to get on the top part of the tank and I didn't want he light to dry them out. I've tried the spray method (light mist) several times a day and I've tried the not spraying. Either way my clutches will usually last about two weeks and fall in the tank. I'm just not sure what the problem is since snail babies seem to be said as being the easiest thing to ever have in a tank. Any advice is appreciated.

17. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

About two or three days before the eggs hatch, they become very soft and gooey again, so I would guess they may slip off. That's my best guess as to the time period.
    I'd probably recommend you wait two or three days after the clutches are laid, then remove them to a floating piece of foam or something so they can hatch out there. If you have a HOB, they'll be drawn into the flow. I use packing tape and a ziploc container, I drilled holes in the lid and the lower portion, so the lower portion is submerged and the holes allow some water flow, and then I put the eggs on the lid so the babies can drop through those holes into the water. I also drilled a hole in the lower portion that I siliconed a suction cup in, but I've also had luck using packing tape and taping only the lower portion underneath the eggs, and most babies fall in. In your case, the second one probably isn't the best option, as they would still fall in the water.
    I'm sorry it hasn't been working out for you, I hope that changes soon.