Snail species?

1. Nimra Initiate Member

Hi guys,

Is this the so called Common Pond Snail?

[​IMG]

I've spotted two in my aquarium, and heard they can become a real pest?

Should I crush them and let my fish eat them?

Thanks!

2. shadowfish Well Known Member Member

yep,pond snail

they wont get out of control unless you over feed,most fish will not eat them but a few do.i crush mine and the population stays low.

welcome to fishlore!

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

Keep or kill is really up to you. I personally can't bring myself to kill mine, so I remove them and put them elsewhere, but as mentioned, your fish may or may not eat them once crushed, and if you avoid overfeeding, they shouldn't get out of control :)

4. rainman Well Known Member Member

Like other snailbros have said, you can crush them and feed them to your fish. I do this and have never had any problems. The fish know not to eat the shell chunks and will spit out the shell pieces and only eat the meat.

Though I know this is quite morbid, it is very good as a fresh food snack.

5. cheese Member Member

when I find a pond snail, I just remove him and stick him in a little "snail container" (milk jug with water lol) and put some food in every so often, and you can definitely see a rapid growth and population increase in the snails after a feeding. they're not really bothering anything and I don't mind having a little jug of snails around I guess...I just think it's a better option than killing them. I could never imagine being crushed...especially with sharp pieces of shell crushing it to death :(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I have two set ups like that, lol. One small vase near my fiancé's desk and one large "drink despenser" They're actually fun to watch, especially since they basically ignore physics and just climb on water tension instead of needing a surface.

7. Nimra Initiate Member

Wow, thanks for your answers guys. I still don't know if I'm gonna bring myself to crush them or not :) though they must be nutritious to the fish as you say.

I'll think about it, thanks!

8. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

They can do well in just about any conditions ime. So if you go with removing and keeping, not much care involved. Mine are unheated, unfiltered, etc