Snail shell keeps filling with air Question 

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hi,

i am new to FL and fish keeping as well. I have a 46 gallon tank and everyone is healthy and happy. my question is that one(maybe both, can't tell the difference) of my snails seems to get his shell filled with air once in a while. i assume this is from my bubbles rock/curtain. i will find him floating at the top of my tank swirling in the current. i then tip him up side down and bubbles come out and he sinks to the bottom and goes on his merry way. my question is, do you think he will learn his lesson or should i get rid of the snails or bubble curtain?

thanks again for all the help this site has already provided me.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it may depend on the snail...i had one which did it once and learned his lesson, but later on, a second snail...kept getting filled with air and eventually died...i don't know if he was maybe sick...

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My apple snail used to get caught in the bubbles from the bubble stone. I used to have the heater and air stone right next to each other. What would happen is that Loop (my snail) would climb on the heater, the heater would unexpectantly switch on, and then he would let go, but instead of sinking to the bottom, he would get caught in the bubble current and float up and down obviously terrified and clamped tight in his shell. Loop would probably go on like that for hours if I didn't rescue him.

Even though I admit to being somewhat entertained by this spectacle. (It would happen at least twice a day and the day care children always laughed.) at the end I thought it was a bit cruel and I moved the bubble stone to the other side of the tank.

Just thought I'd share.

P.S. My snail never did learn and to this day still climbs on the heater. Except now when it switches on he sinks right to the bottom and regains his senses quickly. Oh and he has never been caught in the bubble curtain again after I moved it. Maybe moving the stone to a different spot (in my case I moved it to the left hand corner in the back of the tank) would help your snail?

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thanks for the ideas, i haven't been able to witness exactly how he gets filled with air, but it sounds like my tank was set up similair to yours. i will move my bubbles and give that a try.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I don't know that anything is wrong with your snails. Sometimes snails just like to float around the tank in the current and the bubbles. Think of it as parasnailing I see an air bubble come from mine from time to time and haven't had any issues.
Hopefully yours are just playing around and nothing is wrong.
Keep us posted please.

Ken

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I don't know that anything is wrong with your snails. Sometimes snails just like to float around the tank in the current and the bubbles. Think of it as parasnailing I see an air bubble come from mine from time to time and haven't had any issues.
Hopefully yours are just playing around and nothing is wrong.
Keep us posted please.

Ken
I agree. Sirdarksol and I believe that the snails use this as an easy form of transportation. In nature the snails would live in slow moving streams and bodies of water. If they wanted to move to a new location all they would have to do is fill their lung with air and float away.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My younger snails do this alot, sometimes I'll find a cluster of 5 - 10 of them floating around in the current.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Think of it as parasnailing

Badabing!!!! Good one, Ken!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads