Snail randomly appeared in my new 20G long

marmaaa

So I recently got a 20g long after my parents saw how cute shrimp are LOL but I just saw the TINIEST snail in the fish tank and it is SOOO SMALL. My tank is still going through cycling, so my question is will it live through the cycling phase? I personally don't mind it being in there as long as it doesn't start to reproduce like crazy but its so small that rn i doubt it would.

aquachris

Guessing you got plants that had snail eggs. For the one you see there are many more you don’t.

marmaaa

Drasi said:
Guessing you got plants that had snail eggs. For the one you see there are many more you don’t.
Will this be bad? I mean I don't mind them but will they be a heavy load on my stocking?

aquachris

Depends on quite a few things, if you can keep feeding down, it wont totally overrun, however, you probably will get a decent amount. Many hobbyists have them and its just part of having our aquariums lol.

I intentionally have a few tanks with them now as I feed my puffer them.

carloz209

marmaaa said:
Will this be bad? I mean I don't mind them but will they be a heavy load on my stocking?
They can reproduce like crazy if you are overfeeding your fish because the snails literally eat the excess and leftover food that winds up in the substrate or sinks to the bottom of your tank. So they can be a good indicator of you overfeeding your fish as far as being a nuisance it depends on how many and if you mind them being around its up to each individual hobbyist. They wont do any harm to your fish and in my case i have noticed my angels and mollies eating them every once in a while.

marmaaa

carloz209 said:
They can reproduce like crazy if you are overfeeding your fish because the snails literally eat the excess and leftover food that winds up in the substrate or sinks to the bottom of your tank. So they can be a good indicator of you overfeeding your fish as far as being a nuisance it depends on how many and if you mind them being around its up to each individual hobbyist. They wont do any harm to your fish and in my case i have noticed my angels and mollies eating them every once in a while.
Will it be too much on my BB colony? Is there a way I can kill them now before they explode?

UnknownUser

Snails will happen. They are part of the ecosystem. No, they won’t affect the stocking, you can still stock your tank just as you would without snails. Some don’t like the look of snails but all things play their part. Snails will help keep the tank clean. Just be sure to do your regular once a week water change and don’t overfeed and you will be fine.

marmaaa

UnknownUser said:
Snails will happen. They are part of the ecosystem. No, they won’t affect the stocking, you can still stock your tank just as you would without snails. Some don’t like the look of snails but all things play their part. Snails will help keep the tank clean. Just be sure to do your regular once a week water change and don’t overfeed and you will be fine.
OKay great, I just don't want a heavy bioload on my BB colony other then that, I would be fine with having them! Thank you!

Desi

Sounds like a Ramshorn snail, And yes they all reproduce like crazy. They will normally lay eggs on the glass and live plants. I have dozens in my tanks. They have a very low bio load.

marmaaa said:
Will it be too much on my BB colony? Is there a way I can kill them now before they explode?
you can get an assassin snail and or crush the eggs before they hatch. I don’t see them as pest at all, but different ppl have different opinions.

marmaaa

Desi said:
you can get an assassin snail and or crush the eggs before they hatch. I don’t see them as pest at all, but different ppl have different opinions.
I don't see them like that either, I don't mind them at all as long as my bioload will be not be affected a lot!

Megaanemp

Whether or not they will reproduce like crazy really depends on how many snails the environment can support. By staying on top of water changes and not over feeding the population should stay under control. I have a 5.5 gallon with 3 guppies and bladder snails. I don’t mind the snails, I’m careful not to over feed so at any given time there is usually only 1 or 2 adult snails and some babies which don’t make it to adult hood and get eaten.

marmaaa

Megaanemp said:
Whether or not they will reproduce like crazy really depends on how many snails the environment can support. By staying on top of water changes and not over feeding the population should stay under control. I have a 5.5 gallon with 3 guppies and bladder snails. I don’t mind the snails, I’m careful not to over feed so at any given time there is usually only 1 or 2 adult snails and some babies which don’t make it to adult hood and get eaten.
Okay, that's good. I for sure wont overfeed and if it ever gets crazy, I'll either get an assassin snail or grabs a bunch of snails and give to LFS. Do you think the baby snails will live through the cycle process?

Desi said:
Sounds like a Ramshorn snail, And yes they all reproduce like crazy. They will normally lay eggs on the glass and live plants. I have dozens in my tanks. They have a very low bio load.

Also I don't think it is a Ramshorn because the shell curls up differently then theirs does.

Fisch

marmaaa said:
Okay, that's good. I for sure wont overfeed and if it ever gets crazy, I'll either get an assassin snail or grabs a bunch of snails and give to LFS. Do you think the baby snails will live through the cycle process?
If they came with plants they may be bladder snails. I doubt that your LFS would take those, but please keep us posted

marmaaa

Fisch said:
If they came with plants they may be bladder snails. I doubt that your LFS would take those, but please keep us posted
They may be actually, but it's too tiny too tell. I haven't seen any more yet so I'll keep yall posted!
I'll also put up pics of the tank:)

Megaanemp

marmaaa said:
Can you take a pic? or are they too small? I’m not sure if they’ll survive the cycling process or not.

marmaaa

Megaanemp said:
Can you take a pic? or are they too small? I’m not sure if they’ll survive the cycling process or not.
[/QUOTEe
They are so small, I can try to take a pic but it would be hard to identify what the are. The tank was set up only a couple days ago and I will start adding ammonia soon, if they die, how will I know exactly?

UnknownUser

I’m actually having an issue right now where I can’t seem to increase my MTS. Don’t want to complain too much and then karma hits and I have 1,000 of them though! Haha

marmaaa

UnknownUser said:
I’m actually having an issue right now where I can’t seem to increase my MTS. Don’t want to complain too much and then karma hits and I have 1,000 of them though! Haha
LOL why do you want them to increase?

Megaanemp said:
Not sure why my comment didn't post but, the one I have seen is TINY and I doubt a pic would be able to identify, I am in live call rn lol. But once I am done I will take a pic and upload! Im about to start adding ammonia, so we'll see if they live or not. If they die, how will I know?

UnknownUser

marmaaa said:
LOL why do you want them to increase?
I have sand substrate and they dig which means they mix up the sand for me :) prevents toxic air bubbles from building up.

marmaaa said:
Not sure why my comment didn't post but, the one I have seen is TINY and I doubt a pic would be able to identify, I am in live call rn lol. But once I am done I will take a pic and upload! Im about to start adding ammonia, so we'll see if they live or not. If they die, how will I know?
If they’re that small, you probably won’t know. No harm no fowl. You’ll probably get more eventually anyway

marmaaa

UnknownUser said:
I have sand substrate and they dig which means they mix up the sand for me :) prevents toxic air bubbles from building up.

If they’re that small, you probably won’t know. No harm no fowl. You’ll probably get more eventually anyway
I have sand in half of my tank so that will be nice then! In the near coming days I may see more, hopefully it wont be and overload!

UnknownUser

marmaaa said:
I have sand in half of my tank so that will be nice then! In the near coming days I may see more, hopefully it wont be and overload!
only Malaysian trumpet snails dig into the substrate. It's likely you have ramshorn, which will eat algae and debris but won't do anything for sand. If you have sand and don't mind some snails, it's definitely worth getting some MTS!

marmaaa

UnknownUser said:
only Malaysian trumpet snails dig into the substrate. It's likely you have ramshorn, which will eat algae and debris but won't do anything for sand. If you have sand and don't mind some snails, it's definitely worth getting some MTS!
The swirl on the snails shell does not seem to look like a Ramshorn although it is tiny, it swirls upwards and seems to stick upwards.

Update: I have seen no more snails just the same one, whats weird is that its on the side of the tank with NO plants since I have half of one side planted and the other not.

Fisch

marmaaa said:
Update: I have seen no more snails just the same one, whats weird is that its on the side of the tank with NO plants since I have half of one side planted and the other not.
Patience....it will take even the tiniest snail a bit time to reach maturity.

marmaaa

Update #2: Snail number 2 has arrived to the party and is a bit bigger then the smaller one
Here is a pic of the small one. At this point I dont know what kind of snails they are anymore. By the end of today I may see another 10 LOL

Edit 1: number 3 has been found late to the party
Edit 2: Nope not a snail it was some rock lol

1596831628029.png

Megaanemp

marmaaa said:
Update #2: Snail number 2 has arrived to the party and is a bit bigger then the smaller one
Here is a pic of the small one. At this point I dont know what kind of snails they are anymore. By the end of today I may see another 10 LOL

Edit 1: number 3 has been found late to the party
Edit 2: Nope not a snail it was some rock lol

1596831628029.png
I think that’s a bladder snail. When it gets a bit bigger the shell will be brownish with darker brown polka dots :)

marmaaa

Megaanemp said:
I think that’s a bladder snail. When it gets a bit bigger the shell will be brownish with darker brown polka dots :)
Thats what I am thinking now, the other bigger snail has a darker shell but they are both really young

MoshJosh

I though. . . “Oh no big deal, a couple snails”. . . Now I have more snails than water!

I added 3 assassin snails. . . and now. . . I have 3 more snails. . .

But hey if the economy collapses at least I’ll have plenty of escargot.

marmaaa

MoshJosh said:
I though. . . “Oh no big deal, a couple snails”. . . Now I have more snails than water!

I added 3 assassin snails. . . and now. . . I have 3 more snails. . .

But hey if the economy collapses at least I’ll have plenty of escargot.
LOLLL have the assassin snails helped? How is your bioload?

Top Bottom