Snail question Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Bentendo, Dec 30, 2009.

1. B

Bentendo New Member Member

I haven't gotten my aquarium yet but I'm just curious about snails. I haven't found many articles on them on FishLore so I thought I'd come here to ask a few questions regarding them:

1. Do snails harm the aquarium in any way?
    2. Are snails beneficial to the aquarium in any way?
    3. Is there any reason I should buy a snail? (I want one, but beyond that is there anything else?)
    4. Do they bother the fishes and do the fishes bother them?

Thanks for helping! I'm completely new to this hobby but I really can't wait to get started, but before I do I want to do AS MUCH RESEARCH AS POSSIBLE!

2. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

I've heard that if you get a male and female the population EXPLODES. Then people resort to buying fish to eat them. :\

I think snails eat some of the algae off of the sides of the glass and control it a bit, though I can't tell you how effective they are.

I don't think they bother anything, really. Though I hear Assassin Snails kill other members of the tank. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks! :;thx

4. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

WAIT WAIT
    They might eat plants, too.

No problem. :3

5. D

David C Well Known Member Member

The typical pond snail will breed out of control if you over feed your tank, but otherwise they will stay in check for most part. They don't eat healthy plants, only the decaying portions that are dead anyway. I use yo-yo loaches to keep my populations in check because I have around 50-100 in my tank (can't be sure but there are a lot). Assassin snails eat other snails so people will get them to help kill off the pond snails. They are good algae eaters, but I would prefer a bristlenose pleco or some oto's, much easier to control.

Dave

6. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks! Oh, and :;rocker at Kansas!

7. fishdude360

fishdude360 Valued Member Member

I have a large black mystery snail and I used to have two black mystery snails and a gold mystery snail and they are great! if you want a snail dont get a snail that is asexual or you will have tons get a mystery snail. in my opinion snails are great but you definently need a filter because they eat algae but can produse large amounts of waste but dont let that turn you away. i say get one

8. F

Fishnugget43 Valued Member Member

Im sorry I dont mean to "take over" Your thread but What are the little snails i see at the petstore? pond snails? I'd like a couple... And incase of a population explosion what else is good to control them>?

9. fishdude360

how big are the snails and what color are they

10. F

Around the size of a pencil's eraser and brown and black mostly... If your asking me...

11. fishdude360

i think their pond snails which are a big no no

12. D

Pond snails arent necessarily a no-no, I like having them because my loach's like eating them, so it works out well.

Yes Bentendo, I live about an hour west of Topeka. How you like the snow? lol

Dave

13. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

You won't believe how fast the pond snails will reproduce. After I set up my tank and added a few live plants I spotted 2 snails the second day. Within a week I had taken 10- 15 out. Now every water change I can take 30 plus out. I added a yo yo loach the week before Christmas and he seems to be thinning them out. Do the yo yo's eat the shell and all or just the snail itself?

14. F

how big do those loaches get?

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Welcome to Fish Lore! Glad to have you on board!

I love my Mystery Snails. I think they are a great addition to the aquarium hobby. Here are a couple of links you may find helpful.

Question: Mystery Snail Care?

Ken

:animal0068:I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Snails section of the forum to help you to get more responses from snail owners.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  16. rileyrk190

rileyrk190 Well Known Member Member

I agree get a mystery snail because they are great and fun to watch. Usually the pond snails end up in your tank as hitchhikers on live plants and such. For me they were impossible to get rid of until i bought a couple loaches. In three months time i had over a hundred! I tried the product had-a-snail, and crushing them with my fingers, but i couldnt control the population. I even tore my tank apart, ran the gravel under hot water, cleaned my decorations, and restarted the cycle from another tank and somehow i still had pond snails in there! Not to scare you..it was just a frustrating experience.

17. D

Yo-yo loaches grow to about 6 inchens and need to be kept at least 3 to a tank, but they're energetic and a pleasure to watch, always playing. No, they don't eat the shells.

Best way to prevent pond snails is to give your live plants a 30second ice bath to kill any eggs, then put the plant in the tank.

rileyrk190, when you did all that work, there were probably eggs at the top of the tank along the water line, they lay them up there and they're really hard to see.

18. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for the replies everyone! After reading everything I think I'll hold off on getting snails until I'm ready. I have never had an aquarium before (getting my first one today!) and don't want it to be overcrowded with snails before I know how to control their population. In a couple years MAYBE!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice