Snail quarantining

julien0101

Hi everyone

Recently I have been looking into nerite snails and rabbit snails for my 25 gallon tank, there are a 7 guppies in the tank and there has been quite some algae on the wall.
I know that rabbit snails aren't the best at eating algae but I still want them because they look cute. My lfs has some of the nerites and the rabbits. Sometimes, there are some fish in the same tank sometimes only the snails. But they keep the snail tank and the fish tank side by side and they use the same net.

I'm planning to quarantine the snails for a couple of days just to be safe and the room temperature is 86f. But the problem is I don't have a spare quarantine tank right now, I only have a 1 gallon bucket. So can I possibly put 2 nerites and a rabbit snail in there for a few days without a filter for quarantining ?(just scared of ich). Thanks

awilkinson871

I personally do not think a 25 gallon is big enough for 2 nerites and a rabbit snail. It should be one or the other. Snails have a very large bioload for their size so a 1 gallon bucket will build ammonia quickly. They are very sensitive to changing parameters so without a filter you are likely to lose them. I do not quarantine snails as usually they do not carry the same diseases that transfer to fish. I would carefully look at the fish in the tank with the snails and if any look bad then wait and buy later.

julien0101

Ok thank you, I'm just afraid of the fish diseases that come with the shop's water.
So should I just look at the tanks and see if there are observable fish diseases, and if not then buy them and acclimate the snails in my tank?
Thanks

awilkinson871

I look to make sure none of the fish look sick- ich is pretty noticeable. I also look to make sure the fish are acting normally- no hanging at the top gasping, no normally active species laying on the bottom. I also make sure their are no dead fish and the other snails look like they are healthy and alive. Since snails are more sensitive than fish often they start to die off faster than the fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • michaelsf90
  • Snails
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views