Snail Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
While I was trying to net my guppy fry to put in a breeders trap I noticed some freshwater snails (the kind you find in live plants and breed like crazy)! I found a lot of little ones and I tried to get some of them out but how can I control this problem before it gets out of control?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Lauren. It's nearly impossible to eliminate all snails from an aquarium once they're in there, however they tend to increase in numbers quickly if you're overfeeding the fish, so not feeding too much, plus regular gravel vacuming will help to keep them under control.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Try placing a lettuce leaf or a slice of cucumber in the bottom of the tank. It might be best to do it at night. Let the snails have time to find it and crawl on it and then remove it. It might help some

Ken

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Puffers dont play well with others.
Snails can be beneficial to your tank by breaking down mulm into smaller particles and making it available to the beneficial bacteria and or plants. They clean algae as well.
They can also take over quickly.

Assassin snails are a good bet but then you would have assassins. Granted they dont breed as fast as mentioned above and they will rid your tank of snails (except themselves). They are beautiful and very interesting to watch. (for a snail...which is saying alot!)
If you end up getting assassins once they run out of food they will eat other foods like sinking cichlid pellets or, you may end up feeling guilty for not giving them live food which they require to really thrive. I started a snail tank to feed my snails that I got to get rid of snails. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom