Snail Problem

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

So I got a plant from my LFS like a weeks ago and it had 3 small snails. I didn't really pay much attention to them. But now they had babies and now my whole tank is full of them. Is there a way I can like get rid of them or limit the amount.? I also heard assassin snails work. What do you guys suggest.? Btw the snails are Pond/Bladder snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard that if you put an old carrot in he tank they will attack it and you can remove the carrot once the majority of them are on it. Hope this helps!

3. TKDennison Member Member

Snails cannot say no to zucchini. It's like coffee with humans. Haha. Weigh down some zucchini before bed and it's like magic.

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thanks, I will put some zucchini or carrots in my tank tomorrow.

5. nathantheamazing Initiate Member

I had the exact same problem back around New Years. My tank was COMPLETELY INVADED by snails. I figured it would be a waste to try to get rid of them because they would just keep multiplying so I just let them carry on. Now I have maybe ten snails in my whole tank and are pretty much nonexistent. An aquarium is an ecosystem so apart from mandatory water changes I have found (in my short experience with my fish tank) that it is self regulating. At first the snails take over, then they make your tank pristine and then all of a sudden, they all just seem to die. After that they remain but in reasonable numbersNow I don't know for sure if it was caused but a disease that was somehow protected against by a recessive gene or it it was simply a way of balancing food with snails. It could simply just be that the water conditions aren't ideal for mating like they were but either way it worked out. :;snail

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I would kinda feel bad If I just throw them out. I just want to limit them because I don't want my whole entire tank full of them. But I agree, maybe over time they will start to die off

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Literally the only way that snails of any kind, even pest snails, will overpopulate your tank, is if there's too much food. Decaying plant matter and leftover fish food are their main sources of nutrition in the aquarium, and the snails will only continue breeding if there is enough food to support their offspring.

My "solution" to snails has always been to take care of my tank. :) They don't overpopulate and actually make great cleaners, maintaining a population sufficient to consume the waste in the tank.

8. TKDennison Member Member

I had the same situation. Invading snails took over and then died down to just enough. Quite amazing how it worked

9. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I still feel that the 'bait and remove' method is appropriate to remove any vast over population of snails, simply because in achieving equilibrium, a great number of snails must first die, which leaves you with the problem of decaying snails in your tank (and the dead ones are far harder to bait) :).
    If you have the room, and happen to like them, a number of quite manageably sized loaches will love to rid your tank of snails, btw.----rick, known hater of all but the edible snail, or of the sauce that they are served in, to be more accurate