Snail problem please help. 29 Gallon Tank 

jonathan17

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have discovered a rapidly expanding snail infestation(don't you love those) in my F/W 29 gallon tank! The fish currently inside are getting along well,I have an Albino Rainbowshark,2 Baby Angels,3 Chinese Algae Eaters,4 Cherry Barbs,and an albino cory. I have read that Clown Loaches do an excellent job at eating snails,what do you all recommend??? I have tons of baby snails climbing up the glass lately,and they gotta go :;nin I don't want to have to treat it chemically,all suggestions welcome but I need something with a sweet tooth for ! NOM NOM NOM All input is welcome THANKS!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon. I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Snails section of the forum.

Try adding a piece of lettuce, weighting it down and when the snails all gather to munch on it (hopefully they will) then you can removed the lettuce.

I do not recommend using chemicals to rid your tank of snails. You don't want to add something chemically to destroy anything in your tank when you're trying to create a natural environment (so to speak) for your fish. Too, they may destroy your beneficial bacteria.

As for Clown Loaches I'm afraid that your tank isn't big enough to house them for very long. They can grow to 12 inches or more and should be kept in groups 3 to 5 or more.

Ken

Somethings Fishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OOH thank you for this thread! I have the same problem with snails! I was also told that you can put cucumbers or lettuce in a jar (making sure it is clean) like a salt shaker jar and put it at the bottom of the tank then daily you can change out the jar until there are a few of them in a jar.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmmm...I prefer not to take immediate action, instead, why not feed less? Snail population explosions are normally caused by overfeeding. Its just all that bad rep that MTS and pond snails get that makes everyone hate them. Actually, they're very beneficial by eating leftover, rotting food no fish will touch.

jonathan17

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not a bad idea,I like the jar method gonna try it out. But I also want to add some fish who will eat the pesky little suckers in case I don't get them all. What species are generally docile,not too large for a 29 gallon with the ability to eat snails??I'll also try the feeding less method,but I have so many that I fear it may overpopulate my tank so I need to control the population.>

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Generally, adding fish is one of the worst ideas to deal with a snail infestation, because the new fish normally causes more damage than the snails do. Most loaches grow too large for your tank, dwarf puffers are too aggressive...your tank looks very well stocked and adding another fish will just do more harm then help.

By the way, I just got a big bag of pond snails and ramshorn snails to put in my 10 gallon today.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alot of people just put in a leaf of lettuce before lights out then in the middle of the night (or 3-4 hours later) Turn the lights on and pull out the leaf, a ton of snails will come with it.

Once you get snails you pretty much have them for life. The less you feed the less you will notice them. They are actually benificial though, they turn your substrate and eat left over and decaying food, they also only eat the decaying parts of live plants making you have to prune less

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aaah, what a big commitment. My tank is loaded with "pest" snails: pond snails, ramshorn snails, and just to make the deal sweeter, a whole bunch of freshwater limpets (not that you really notice them anyways, they're a millimeter in diameter).

There have been a few unconfirmed sightings of MTS in the tank. Our shrimpy gastropodiatrists (had to say that ;D) are still on the search.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are always assassin snails, yes I know it seems weird to fix a snail problem by adding more snails but they don't breed like rabbits. As the name suggest they hunt and eat other snails.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The snail eating loach that could live out its life in a 29 gallon is the dwarf chain loach. They top out around 2" but, like all loaches, they need to be in groups of at least four or five. So you've got no room for any loaches unless you want to rehome some of the other fish.

The other responses are right on. The number one cause, maybe really the only cause, of a snail "infestation" is too much food. And the number one method to controlling a snail population is to feed less. Try feeding your fish once a day and fasting them once a week if you aren't already. That will help a lot. Then use the lettuce or cucumber nightly and take out a few snails you might see on the glass and in no time the population will be under control.

Do you know where they came from? If you have plants, one good way of taking care of hitchhikers is a dip in potassium permanganate before adding them to your tank. It's as effective as bleach and much gentler on the plants. You can find it near the water conditioner section of hardware stores and Jungle makes a product with PP in it too.

-Lisa

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snails aren't that bad I find my pond snails quite entertaining really. They "surf" on flake food and leaves. Just remove as many as you can by luring them into bottles or jars, and feed less. Good luck!

jonathan17

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thank you all for sharing your input!! Also I apologize to Elodea,I'm definately not bashing on snails here they are fascinating,I just fear for the balance of my tank to be disrupted by so many breeding.Usually you pick up these snails from fish farms and they have already spawned their egg sacs on plants,so it would be wise to check them thoroughly before putting them into your tank. I feed my fish a pinch in the morning and one at night but I will reduce to one a day,I think I may have been overfeeding just a tad.

I'm trying the Bait and Pull method out since I was unable to find a suitable jar. I've tied some carrot shreds to a small pebble via string and now i'm fishing for snails so to speak :;pirate. Those assassin snails seem interesting,might look into getting one. Thanks again for sharing!!Peace friends.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jonathan17 said:
I thank you all for sharing your input!! Also I apologize to Elodea,I'm definately not bashing on snails here they are fascinating,I just fear for the balance of my tank to be disrupted by so many breeding.Usually you pick up these snails from fish farms and they have already spawned their egg sacs on plants,so it would be wise to check them thoroughly before putting them into your tank. I feed my fish a pinch in the morning and one at night but I will reduce to one a day,I think I may have been overfeeding just a tad.

I'm trying the Bait and Pull method out since I was unable to find a suitable jar. I've tied some carrot shreds to a small pebble via string and now i'm fishing for snails so to speak :;pirate. Those assassin snails seem interesting,might look into getting one. Thanks again for sharing!!Peace friends.
Lol no need to apologize, everyone has different opinions! Now although I love my pond snails, I'm starting to wonder if ramshorns were a smart idea. Apparently, they eat delicate plants like anacharis...

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jonathan17 said:
I'm trying the Bait and Pull method out since I was unable to find a suitable jar.
You can actually just use an empty small plastic water bottle. I drilled a whole in the cap using scissors and it worked. You can just adjust the size of the whole to how you want it.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually bought some plants from Petsmart "Assuming" they would have snails on them for my Krib tank. Well, figures, not a one. What the hey.

jbobsfunnyfarm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The smaller snails get sucked up in my gravel vacuume all the time - you could temporarily remove all the plants and decor, and suck a lot of them up. You might not be able to eliminate them but cull a lot of them out for the time being.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads