Snail Problem, Any Tips?

Heather2131

Reaction score
I made a tree and used Java moss that was infested with snails and/or eggs.
I started seeing tiny snails in the tank, so I removed the snails and put them in a jar (don't want to kill them) and put a load of bleach in the tank (had no fish in at this point as I was just setting it up)
Left it for days with bleach in... Found a big snail had come out of the water so I popped that one in the jar, feeling so guilty about killing any or making them suffer, I thought it would be instant.

Anyways I bought a new bigger tank and put the bleached Java moss bogwood tree into the new tank thinking all was well.
Week and weeks later I've found some quite big bladder and ramshorn snails in the tank, I've taken them out and put them in the jar (haven't got round to adding them to a pond)

I don't know if it's from the moss (most likely) or from the new plants that were treated with copper before I bought them however.
I've thrown the moss away but it's too late, I keep finding the odd one in the tank.

I currently only have a Betta in there, so I can remove him to treat the tank if necessary
Any suggestions?
If I take him out, is there anything I can add that will really eliminate any snail eggs in the tank, I don't want to be continuously removing snails from the tank!!

Got lots of nice plants in, some gravel, filter/heater and a lovely big castle. I'm really happy with the tank and setup but the snails are spoiling it.

I think I need to treat my rescue Betta for fin rot or ich too so I don't wanna keep stressing him out. These treatments have warnings for using them with crustaceans, would this be enough to kill off the eggs?
I cant even see any eggs or snails, then a one comes out of nowhere.

I guess I could take everything out and dip it in a solution if that would be effective??

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, sorry for the long post!!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could make a trap. Look up on YouTube on how to make traps.

When I had a snail issue I stopped feeding my tank for a week. That resolved the problem.

Heather2131

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of a chemical I can add to the water to eradicate the snail eggs

I can remove the Betta but I don't want my live plants to die

Heather2131

Reaction score
Last time I picked the snails out to save them and poured bleach in to bleach the gravel, wood and moss.

Shall I do that again? Will it kill my live plants? They're so nice and thriving, I don't want to destroy them.

I'll take the Betta out and put him in the hospital tank, drop the water level and dump a load of bleach in to rid the gravel, wood, plants and castle ornament of snail eggs.

It's a 54L tank, 2 ft.
Any suggestions?

EDeGrado

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just add one assaying snail eventually he will kill all of the snails and if no supply of snail available he will starve. So you will know you don’t have any more snails when he dies

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Put slices of cucumber in various places in your tank at night, in the morning they'll be covered in snails, net the snaily-cucumbers out. Repeat.

Heather2131

Reaction score
But that doesn't 100% get rid of the snails

It's the eggs I need rid off, I can remove the snails but I need the eggs killed

Why me

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know. Just take the Betta out. Use regular table salt and the should be gone. Don’t forget to THOROUGHLY rinse after. That’s how I got rid of mine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom