Snail Picture ID dictionary

1. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

All photos are from me or sourced by forum members with their permission!

So I see a lot of threads asking for Snail ID. I love snails and have many types of freshwater snails. I figured I would make a thread on them for all to see.

Category 1 - Pest class snails (They can be useful given the right circumstances)

Bladder aka common pond snail

-They reproduce via egg sack and quickly. The egg sacks are clear and have small dots in them. Finding them can be hard and thus can cause them to overpopulate quickly. The main benefits are eating algae and being used as live food.

20151209_231410.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

20151209_231613.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

Ramshorn

- They are hermaphroditic and only take any two to reproduce. They can be colorful and interesting looking so some people keep them. They eat algae and can also be used as live food. They lay eggs.

SANY0078_1.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

20151212_204504.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

- Of all the pest class snails this tends to be the favorite, especially for those who have sand as their substrate. They will burrow under the sand and release gasses that get trapt beneath the surface. They give live birth under the sand, so one day you make wake up to dozens in your tank seemingly out of nowhere. They grow to be about 1 inch in length.

183492d1450896195-snail-picture-id-dictionary-snail-mts.jpg Picture credit - Shadowfish

2. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails

The Mystery snail can describe a few sub classes of snail, some of which get mixed up with the Apple Snail (a true apple snail can grow HUGE and can be illegal to transport across certain state lines)

182861d1450056642-snail-picture-id-dictionary-1450056642998.jpg Picture credit - Bijou88

Mystery snails come in several common colors

-Gold
    20151209_232005.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Ivory
    183036d1450229452-snail-picture-id-dictionary-snial-ivory.jpg Picture credit - Shadowfish

-Black
    182987d1450169764-snail-picture-id-dictionary-1450169766761.jpg Picture credit - Bijou88

-Blue
    -Jade (green)
    green.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Purple
    182962d1450147754-snail-picture-id-dictionary-pic-snail1.jpg Picture credit - Shadowfish

-Chestnut (brown)
    182982d1450169657-snail-picture-id-dictionary-1450169660460.jpg Picture credit - Bijou88

It's worth noting that colors can have slight variations to them, and don't have to be solid. Many have stripes.

They get about 2-3 inches in diameter and love to eat algae off your glass and ornaments, but their diet should also be supplemented with high calcium foods to aid in shell growth. They reproduce via eggs even in fresh water, however the eggs must not be submerged in water and must remain moist in order to come to fruition.

20151015_214104.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

3. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Nerite snail

These guys are popular for their diverse colors and patterns and will not reproduce outside of brackish water. Their size depends on the type, and well as shape features.

Common types are

-Tiger
    182953d1450145329-snail-picture-id-dictionary-1450145332298.jpg Picture credit - Bigou88

-Zebra
    e51967c7-cb4c-4dc3-b8a1-bd583ea2c64e.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Olive

20151209_231848.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Horned
    20151210_180623_4.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Black Racer
    20160219_205233.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

-Batik
    snial.jpg Picture credit - MongooseALaMode

as well as a few that are not so common.

Some, like the Tiger and Zebra can grow up to about 1.5 inches in diameter, while others like the Horned only get about a half inch in diameter.

Because of the large variety of snails that fall under this class, pictures are best googled on a per snail basis.

4. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Large Cone type

Unlike the Malaysian trumpet snail that is cone shaped and reproduced quickly, there are a number of large cone shaped snails that do not reproduce quickly.

Rabbit aka Elephant Snail (Sulawesi)

These guys come in several skin colors and shell colors. They grow to about 3 inches in length and will dig trenches in your sand which will help release harmful gasses that get trapt under the surface. They will eat left overs from fish so long as its bottom feeder type food, but also eat some algae and will munch on plants. They reproduce slowly, and lay very few eggs at a time.

20150805_234738.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff
    20151210_024643_2.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

http://www.rabbitsnails.com/Resources/IMG_7106.jpg
    Picture source
    http://www.rabbitsnails.com/rabbitsnails-gro.html

Black Devil Spike and Lava (Faunus Ater and Faunus Magma)

20160202_183615.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

20160202_183727.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

20160202_192549.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

Considered the big cousin to the Malaysian trumpet snail, although no direct relation, the BDS has a shell size similar to that of the Rabbit snail, but has a distinct spike shape. The Lava snails are part of the same family, but have a red huge to them. These guys like to munch on plants. They are also known to be more active than Rabbit snails.

5. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Other types

Japanese Trapdoor snail

They can come in slight color variations and some have been known to grow to the size of an Apple Snail.

The reproductive rate is moderate. They give live birth, so there are no eggs involved.

20151209_231817.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

Assassin Snail

This type of snail gets its name for doing exactly what it says - assassinations. They are heavily carnivorous and will eat snails of just about any other kind in the freshwater category. It has been known that if the victim snail is large (like a Mystery) multiple assassins will gang up and take on the victim together. They have a great sense of smell which helps them hunt down their victims. They will force the victim into its own shell and eat them alive from within. They do lay eggs, but require a male and a female. Their reproductive rate is slow compared to most and they do not lay a single clutch when they do. Instead, the eggs are spread out one by one over the tank. It will take weeks to months for baby assassins to hatch, at which point they burrow under the substrate until they are just barley large enough to see with the naked eye.

20151114_163545.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

SANY0055_1.jpg Picture credit - Cheesepuff

6. Bijou88 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for taking the time to write this up! The only thing I would add/change is how bladder/ramshorn/mystery lay eggs, as in mysteries lay them above water in little pink clutches that look like long raspberries, bladder under water usually on leaves or glass and theirs look like thick blobs of clear jelly, ramshorn lay eggs under water on plant leaves and glass and they look more like flat blobs of a think gel, they're flatter and less jelly/almost more silicone like than bladder snail eggs.

Also, mystery snails aren't really algae eaters, they need fresh veggies and fish food :)

Also, if you'd like I'd be happy to take pictures of my mystery, nerite, bladder and ramshorn for this so there are tangible photos instead of links, just let me know!

Sent from my SM-T807T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

that would be great for photo help!

there was pictures, but they were taken down due to possible copy write violation. I was hoping by citing my sources that it wouldn't be a problem, but I was wrong :-\

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Great post!

Also make sure to capitalize genus names. So it should be Faunus ater and Faunus magma.

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Great post! Worthy of being a sticky after Bijou88's and TexasDomer's stamp of approval. :)

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You might want to edit your measurements for horned nerites. A "few centimetres" could well be bigger than 1.5 inches, given that there are ~2.5cm/inch ;)

11. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Should have said millimeters. That's what I get for making this at 5 in the morning. Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Bijou88 Fishlore VIP Member

Or just say 1/2" since that's pretty close and slightly less vague, lol :)

13. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Sounds great. =)

A message to the mods -

any new pictures in the original text will now be exclusively owned by forum members and myself to avoid copy-write issues.

is this thread sticky worthy? I've been trying my best to get pictures for everything.

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Just checking....all the above pictures were taken by you of your snails?

15. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

yup. I've taking pics of my snails (of which I have many) and any I don't have I've traveled to my LPS and got permission to take a picture of their snails.

So far I have yet to have anyone send me pics to use, so its just been my pictures thus far.

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for all of the information. Great reference source!

After a while, I'll clean the thread and delete the chat.

Ken

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

OK!

Big bladder snail: IMG_20151114_084514711.jpg

Herds of red ramshorns: IMG_20151028_201616498.jpg
    IMG_20151024_093112276.jpg
    IMG_20151008_210832229_HDR.jpg

A mountain of MTS: IMG_20151008_210848142.jpg

18. cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

Nice pics!

I think we should stick to the kind of format I set up though.

I could use a good photo of an mts and a black racer. Also, more colors for mystery snails would be good.

19. krack499 Well Known Member Member

Mts if you want it or did you mean with a black racer

Sent from my SM-G360V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

20. Bijou88 Fishlore VIP Member

Mystery snails. ...

Attached Files: