Snail Photosensitivity

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

Does anyone know if lighter color Mystery Snails, such as Ivories are more photosensitive? Or is it just an individual thing?

I have 5 snails. The 3 Nerites don't care about anything going on around them. The Blue Mystery is usually always active in the daytime. Took him a while to adjust to the tank, but he did. Pretty much every morning he's asleep at the surface, light comes on, away he goes. My newer one however, a larger Ivory female seems to hate light. She stays hid out the majority of the time. As soon as light comes on she goes to the same hiding spot every time. You can even see her visibly flinch when just the blue night light comes on.

So, what gives?

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

My mystery snails have the same behaviour when it comes to light. In the wild the sun rises and sets gradually..whereas in our tanks the light coming in and off can cause them to be startled. I always turn on a light in the room before turning off the light on the tank so it's a bit more gradual and not so sudden. My mystery snails r also more active at night or when the lights r off.

3. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Since posting this, she has actually came back out, climbed to the surface, went back into her shell, and has her siphon sticking out of the water. IMG_20170804_131611580_HDR.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Think I was writing my update at the same time you were writing your response.

So all your Mysteries do this? That's a bummer. Our blue one doesn't behave like that at all, which is why we wanted more. He's a lot of fun to watch, and most people say the same.

I've thought about moving her to a different tank with different light, but all I have running is a quarantine that won't be a permanent setup.

5. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

My one mystery snail does it more often than the other...has scared me a few times but months later they r both still thriving..and so absolutely cute. Do u have alot of cover from the lights in the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Not yet. Just got a sprig of hornwort into the quarantine tank yesterday. After I'm sure there's no snails I'll move it over to this tank. Just don't understand why the other snail is fine.

7. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

She's been out and about most of yesterday, and all day today so far. Guess it just took some time. Think I saw her take a couple quick bites of zucchini too. She wasn't on it long, and off she went zooming around again. IMG_20170805_124152151_HDR.jpg

8. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Make sure to have lots of shade in your tank and they will hang out there where it's not too dark so you can't see them but they can get some good naps in. They will venture out into bright light but they prefer to hangout in the shade and go to complete darkness for periods during the day. You should make sure your tank has different gradients of light to make them comfortable.

9. jtwizz

jtwizz Valued Member Member

My ivory snail periodically hides out but it seems to be irrelevant as to whether the tank lights are on. His favorite hiding spot used to be in the shady spot behind the in-tank filter, but he kinda stopped doing that after he accidentally climbed inside it a couple weeks ago, and we didn't notice he was missing for a whole day. Now he hides inside this castle decoration we have

10. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

I definitely plan to get some more real plant coverage, when I get the chance. She is starting to stay out more though. Just took her a couple weeks, like my first one. Thanks for all the responses.