Snail Or Pleco w/ Africans

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by NeWcS, Dec 30, 2009.

1. N

NeWcS Valued Member Member

I have a tank with some younger(1-2in) Yellow labs in it and need some algae control. Thinking either a snail or a common Pleco?

Thoughts?

-Jay

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what size is the tank? and usually if we can find why you have algae is easier than finding a fish to take care of it :)

3. OP
    OP
    N

I think its like a 50gal?

-Jay

4. Shawnie

what color is the algae?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Its brown algae. I know a Pleco will make quick work of it but want to make sure it'll be able to live with my little cichlids

-Jay

6. play

play Valued Member Member

yes it will be able to live with plecos.For your tank I would suggest about 2 or 3 brisstlenose plecos.

7. OP
    OP
    N

ok, thanks!!!!

-Jay

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Completely agree.

Not necessarily.
    I've seen accounts of Mbuna tearing the eyes out of plecos. The little cichlids won't be little for long. The more responsible thing to do rather than adding a fish to control a problem is to figure out why you're having algae issues and address whatever needs to be addressed (photo period, nutrient imbalance, water quality, etc.).

9. OP
    OP
    N

Im assuming there is algae due to the tank being by a window which is giving it lots of sun light during the day.

-Jay

10. Shawnie

if the tank is new, it sounds like diatoms...which will go away with time and aging of the tank....if you dont have green algae yet, you might want to think of moving the tank away from sunlight before you do.....ive had no luck with bn's being with africans and the only thing that seems to work with mine, are commons..but they have to be larger than the africans ....i have a chocolate plec in with mine now and hes been fine for months....

11. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've never had a problem keeping common BNs with my africans no matter thier size. I have heard of BNs being attacked in other peoples african set ups though so I'd say it comes down to the temperament of the individual cichlid. I wouldn't want to try any other plec though as the water requirements are just too different to even contemplate it. I would only go for one. 2 or 3 is too much for a 40g. Especially if algae is limited. You would be surprised how fast even a juvie BN will clear a tank of diatoms, (brown algae). Probably not worth putting one in to be honest as if it is diatoms then as Shawnie said it will go away when the tanks has aged enough. That could be a few months to a year.

12. Angela_96

Angela_96 Well Known Member Member

I think bn plecos are the way to go, I have had several in with my africans with no issues other than when they spawned all the fry got eaten before I could get them all caught and moved to the nursery tanks.
    That just ended up in my bn breeders getting moved to another tank.

I have some pretty aggressive species of mbuna (ps polits, kenyi, red zebra) and they have left my plecos alone.

13. Shawnie

and i was the opposite..my bn got tore up and i now have a chocolate pleco...

each fish is different for sure

14. D

DD815505 New Member Member

I have a 72 gallon with malawis. I've tried a common pleco & a rubber lip, and the fish ate both of them. Poor guys. We also have a brown algae issue, but since the tank is fairly new set up, i'm hoping we can wait it out. sure looks gross, tho.

15. P

PorcupinePuffer Valued Member Member

can u keep snails with cichlids??

16. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Apparently Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good (especially if you have sand) and can keep them with Cichlids. I don't have any yet, but plan to get some.

17. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

We have two albino plecos in our tank with 9 small (less then 3 inch) Cichlids, they and the red tail shark have been in the tank since before we got the Cichlids who, when we got them, were about an inch big and the Cichlids stil don't bother the other fish at all.. in fact if there is any chasing in the tank it's the RT shark chasing around the biggest Cichlid (the shark is about the same size as the Cichlid)

I guess it would depend on your tank and your specific fish, the potential for trouble is always there

18. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

I have done much research on this very subject lately, a matter of fact I came across a poll. the question was, which Pleco is best for African Cichlids. The Bristlenose pleco won by a landslide. the Rubberlip came in a distance second and the Chinese Algea eater third. The Clown Pleco was also mentioned, but does more hiding than anything and is not very good at cleaning up. What I did find, is The Bristlenose has done ( and is doing) very well in many, many African Mbuna Tanks across the land. ALTHOUGH, with that said, I would have to agree with Shawnee's response that it is best to find why you have an Algae growth. Also, a little Algae is not a bad thing for African Mbunas . In there natural habitat, the African Mbuna spends much of its day removing algae from the rocks underneath Lake Malawi. Just some thoughts.

19. 1

1309mw Valued Member Member

i have had 2 rubbed lipped plecos eaten by my GT. i have also had a couple snails disappear with only a shell left in the same tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice