Snail Not Eating!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by saket, Apr 12, 2017.

1. saket

saket Valued Member Member

i tried feeding my snails with eggshell power and snipach leafs and even cucumber but they wont eat anything except the fish food. i know they ate eating but their shells are getting weak and show white strips all over like of shredded sheels i am realy worried about their intake of calcium. i cant get cuttle bone here. there is no one selling them. anything that i can do? or any type of food ? please help me.

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

How long do you leave the food in there?
    I say that if they will only eat fish food, then give them fish food, at least until they look healthier and you can try experimenting again.

I have never known a snail to EAT eggshell or cuddle bone, usually they let calcium dissolve into the water and then the snails get it from there. I believe there's liquid calcium you can buy, I've seen it in petco and stuff near the saltwater section.

How large is the tank? What type(s) of snail(s)? Are there any fish/live plants in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    saket

what do you mean by ketting the calcium dissolve? i let the thibgs stay there for a few hours probably for 3 to 4 and then take it out they dont eat it. the tank is 5 gallon and there are 5 mystery snails and no fish currently neither any plants only multicoloured stones. any thoughts on any type of recipies or some way to feed them calcium? i am really worried.

4. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I use egg shells in my filter for added calcium. Just wash them thoroughly.

5. OP
    OP
    saket

just adding them will help? i just wish there shells dont dissolve more i want them to be strong and healthy.

6. Bettanewb

The egg shells break down in the water and will add calcium.
    Have you tried making snail jello?

7. OP
    OP
    saket

no i do not know how to make the jello. okay i will try putting washed eggshells there and see if it helps.

8. Bettanewb

There are alot of recipes out there for it even my nerites come down from scavenging for algae to eat it.

9. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

You need to buy sinking wafers. The hikari bottom feeder wafers are the best in my opinion. Orange package. Feed one a day per adult mystery snail. They're omnivores they need meat in their diet which is probably why they want fish food.

10. OP
    OP
    saket

11. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

What's the pH in your tank? Acidic water (indicated by a lower pH) may dissolve snails' shells faster.

Also, where are you looking for cuttlebones? Virtually any pet store should have them. I think we actually buy ours from Walmart. Cuttlebones aren't technically for fish, so you won't find them in the fish section of any store; you'll find them with the bird supplies, and I believe they sell something similar for turtles too. (Sorry if you already tried/knew that, not everyone knows they're for birds!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice