snail morals

1. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, I'm just really curious about something. Most people on this website are really concerned about ethical/moral/humane treatment of fish. But I often see advice from members on how to discard snails, which (at least seemingly) no concern of their welfare. I am just curious about what the thought process is.

My disclaimer: I am not singling any one person out. I am not intending to offend anyone, hurt anyone's feelings, or make anyone mad. I am just curious.

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Very good point, but I really have no idea. Maybe because the snails are thought of as pests (like flies and cockroaches)? Most people don't think of their welfare when they swat them.

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thats an interesting observation and I am sure it will get interesting feedback.

I have a few snails and they are as much a part of my tank as any of the fish. I think in this hobby sometimes it is said to let nature take its course, ie. let the adult fish eat the fry if you dont want them. I was unable to knowingly let that happen in my tank as I couldnt handle it. It may be the same with snails, let the fish eat them. Each person has a level of comfort with different aspects. Like someone who put fish in a tank that is too small or the fish are non-compatable. Or the person who lets bettas fight to death for the fun of watching.

Thats enough of my run on...............cant wait to see the responses.

Good observation Meenu

4. OP
    OP
    Meenu

Well, that's kinda my point. It's not those people who would watch bettas fight, it's people here who really care about animals. People will recommend gathering snails with a lettuce leaf, but then give no further instructions on how to humanely dispose of them.

Thanks for the responses. :)

5. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

hummmm...actually I do feel bad....I crush them against the glass.... but then feel good cause the fish get fresh food. I'm talking about the little pesty pond snail things, not the big "pet" snails.....so I guess I'm neutral...bad and good.

6. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

wow, i never thought about that. i am glad to say, i have never treated a snail inhumaely! when i want to get rid of snails i put them in my pond. oops wait, just remembered, i have killed alot of snails, for the good of my fish!. i would smash snails then my fish would eat them. i think we treat them like we do because we see them as pests. there are so many of them that we dont become emotionally attached to them.

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Many people (not singling anyone out in particular) mash them and feed them to their fish. It is possible that they don't consider their welfare because they are "doing as nature would". Kind of like feeding feeder fish to larger carnivores.

8. OP
    OP
    Meenu

I see feeding them to the fish as natural, I can understand that.

I hope you guys don't think I'm being critical... I don't even know if I have an opinion on this. I do know I am allergic to ants, and find roaches repulsive, so I have a pest control contract.

9. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have a snail that I love his name is big red, he is a ramhorn snail and since it is just him I don't have to worry about him over running the tank, I'll post some pics later
    here is the pic, could you bring yourself to smash this cutie?
    big red snail 043.JPG

10. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I have never personally killed a snail for any reason other then feeding them to my puffers. Which I didn't feel bad about because I knew that I would need to do that before I purchased the puffers. I guess it's all about where people draw lines and what they are comfortable with. I kill spiders and flies and we've killed ants in our lawn too. I let nature run it's course in most of my tanks with fry because I know I don't have the time or space to properly raise them. I value life and honestly I don't even know how I came to the conclusion that a fish, dog, cat, spider, or any living creature has more of a right to live then another. I'm sure it's based on what's socially acceptable. You have a very valid question and I too will be looking at what other posters have to say.

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Meenu. :;hi2

I think it's just assumed that when one is trying to rid their tank of snails and they are all gathered on a lettuce leaf or simply removed, that they are just disposed of. I'm not sure I want to know how. :)

:animal0068:I'm moving your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Snails section of the forum to get more responses from snail owners.
    Happy New Year!

Ken

12. ~Fanci~

~Fanci~ Valued Member Member

As a recent poster of a snail "problem", I am at a loss as to what to do with them. My sister has an outdoor pond with Koi and has offered to take them, but even so they will likely be eaten. And I did warn her that they are multiplying like it's going outta' style!!
    I am planning to purchase a few clown loaches soon and that way the snails will at least be food. Believe me, I don't like the idea of killing them...I am currently collecting them into a set up 1 gallon tank.
    I don't necessarily like the idea of people killing them, but if the fish don't eat them I can understand having to do it. Unless you are in a warmer climate and can maybe taken them outside somewhere, what else is there to do then turn em' into fish food?

13. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I try to prevent any unnecessary discomfort to the fish, even the snails. I use yo-yo loaches to eat them and I breed guppy's for their fry to feed my angels. As long as it's natures way, I have no problem with it, but I wouldn't injure a fish so it can be caught and eaten by another, that's inhumane.

Please never release animals into your environment. They can have awful effects on the natural order of things in ways you have never thought of. Just google what California is having to do in order to remove macro algae from it's shores all because someone released theirs into the ocean. Millions of dollars a year spent to clean up one "harmless" act.

Dave

14. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Ditto.

15. K

Katrina New Member Member

I'm thrilled this question came up because I've never purchased live plants due to the fact that I didn't want to have to deal with a snail problem (there's no way I can kill one--nature's way or not!). I can see the reason that people smash them and feed them to the fish--it's just not for me--I'm a pansy.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread to ask this question (brand new to this site), but I'd love a large snail if I knew it wouldn't overrun my tank. No idea if there even is such a thing, so I'll tender the question to the people with snails. I've been told by a guy at the pet store recently that snails don't need another snail to breed (?)--he said they are either pregnant when you buy them and they overrun your tank, or they morph like some fish into whatever sex is needed to reproduce (huh?). I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about now that I've looked at the male/female diagram.

16. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

All life should be respected. Snails in a tank and allowed to get out of control is nearly the same as introducing non-native species and destroying another unique micro system or even a whole water shed system. In the wild, where all life is balanced, it is all a matter of where that life is in the food chain. Nothing is ever wasted in nature. In our aquariums we rarely are able to setup a truely balance enviroment only a small micro sample of what we want..
    So being over run with snails...disposing of them can be a necessity. How you do it is a personal thing. Same as thinning or culling deer herds or other animal populations...we just don't fit anymore so we must adjust our surroundings....give that some thought!!

17. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

There are some snails that dont need a partner to reproduce. A mystery snail would be perfect for you, :;google. I have them and they are really cool to have.

18. K

Katrina New Member Member

Thank you, Redlessi. I am thinking of adding to my tank and have put the question out there to everyone for ideas on the stocking questions. If I get ideas from people I like that are compatible with a snail, I may start looking for one at that point.