Snail might be dying

bored411

I'm trying to figure out if the nerite snail I got for my 3-gallon betta tank might be dying. Ammonia: 0.25 (a false reading as my 10 gallon is also this way and has been for months), Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 5. He was allowed to float in his bag for about 30 minutes for temperature adjustment, was put in and moved a little bit (for like five minutes) before stopping. There is plenty of algae for him to nibble at which is why I got him. Yet, he's been in the same spot for 3 days. Hasn't moved.

I picked him up and poked lightly at him because his trapdoor was open and he sucked it back closed. I moved him on top of a mopani wood in the tank with biofilm on it today so he was close to food and he only opened his trapdoor halfway and hasn't moved and isn't attaching himself to the wood at all, just holding himself open. So, he's alive apparently but I'm concerned he might be dying because of some reason or another. I'll double-check my levels tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas?

BigManAquatics

May just be getti g used to things as well. Lots of reasons snails decide not to move. Nerites especially. They do things they want, when they want, not when you want! If he hasn't moved in a few more days, give it the smell test.

bored411

So, it's been another few days. I've picked him up and moved him again. He hasn't moved in the tank at all. But he must still be alive because he doesn't smell and despite not moving he keeps his trapdoor open until I poke him or pick him up then he hides again (though slowly) and slowly opens back up. I don't think he's eating, given he hasn't moved and there are no trails of him eating through algae anywhere. If he's acclimating, is this going to continue for a while longer?

PAcanis

I've got two striped nerites that haven't moved for 4 days.
One day they are both on a piece of spiderwood up high in the tank, next thing I know they are both on their backs at the bottom of the tank.

I flipped them over and nothing. Yesterday I smelled them (no smell) and their trapdoor is tightly closed.

Not sure what it going on either.

bored411

The snail ended up dying. He was hanging even his mouth outside of the shell. I got another snail. Made sure it was very active and eating, made sure it was removed properly and it was eating and zooming around my tank for 3 days. I found it this morning upside down having fallen off the glass and much like the previous snail, trapdoor open and just laying there. I flipped him over but he’s not moving. Just hunkered in the shell.
The levels in my tank are fine. I have 0.25 ammonia that is a false positive. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 10. Ph is 7.4. Temp is around 80. I don’t know what is killing them. Would Leaf Zone which I use for my plants kill them? I’m at a loss

bored411

I've got two striped nerites that haven't moved for 4 days.
One day they are both on a piece of spiderwood up high in the tank, next thing I know they are both on their backs at the bottom of the tank.

I flipped them over and nothing. Yesterday I smelled them (no smell) and their trapdoor is tightly closed.

Not sure what it going on either.
So I spoke with the people at the store I got them from and they think it was the liquid fertilizer (Leaf Zone) I was using for my plants that did it since all my tank levels are fine. I'm not sure if you're using this or anything like it, but if you are I would stop using it or lower the dosage. I've cut back on using it (and did a large water change to get lower how much was already in the water) and while the snail isn't moving around still, it does look better than before and is slightly more active. If it dies I'll try one more time and not use the fertilizer at all. Hope this helps you as well!

PAcanis

I can't remember if I fertilized or not after adding the snails, but it is supposed to be shrimp and snail safe.

bored411

I can't remember if I fertilized or not after adding the snails, but it is supposed to be shrimp and snail safe.
Leaf Zone is the same, but the worker said from his experience (I know him well and trust his opinion. I've seen his tanks and they're amazing.) it's typically the liquid fertilizer that kills them off. Both shrimp and snails. I have a 10 gallon that I use the same stuff in with Amano shrimp and the shrimp are fine, but it's easier to follow dosing instructions on a 10 gallon than a small 3 gallon. It could just be that I was doing too much fertilizer and didn't realize it or the snails can't handle it. I was having algae issues too so I think I may have been dosing too much.

From what he said though, it can still cause issues and that would be his best assumption given my tank levels are all fine. The only other thing would be a bad batch of snails (this second one I got was active and eating so he was from a good batch) or the person who picked the snail out of the tank was pulling it off instead of letting it close up on its own and caused damage to the snail that way (this was suggested by a different worker I also trust).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Laura306
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishyk80
Replies