Snail Jello Recipe?

AllieSten

Anyone want to share how they make their snail jello? Gonna go to the produce store tomorrow and get some supplies. Any help would be appreciated

KinsKicks

Hello!

The base is usually a mix of my normal base for my arowana food which is: (definelty not all of it is necessary...they're my scraps. But you should be fine with just the beef heart)

• white fish, mostly cod, tilapia, or any white fish that I can find on sale.
• shrimp
Vitachem
• spirulina
• And if I get free leftovers from the butchers/Asian markets, I'll usually add a bit of beef heart or squid

For making it into official jello:
• 1-1.5 packets unflavored gelatin
• (microwaved to melt gelatin in) baby food with 4-6% calcium. I think it's 1st or 2nd stage jars. You can pick any flavors. I usually use the veggie flavors. If I remember correctly, squash and green beans have the highest, but you can always compensate with some extra calcium pills
• 10 crushed calcium pills/calcium powder (without D3 or phosphorus)
• small fish food crumbs and/or algae wafer crumb pieces
• other proteins (below)

I'll usually make a jello when I'm scraping the bottom of the buckets of my foods (I don't like feeding little itty bitty pieces, its messy, so I blitz them instead ) So sometimes I'll add/swap in mysis, extra brine shrimp (have lots of fry going) and bloodworms. I know some other people also add a tbsp of honey too (the good organic stuff). I'm sure you could add blitzed/finely chopped fresh veggies too

Sorry that was long lol...but the fishies/snails like it . Happy shopping!

fissh

AllieSten said:
Anyone want to share how they make their snail jello? Gonna go to the produce store tomorrow and get some supplies. Any help would be appreciated
Get a box of lime jello, add in some peaches and pineapple and lots of snails, the snails give it a crunchy texture and protein

AllieSten

fissh said:
Get a box of lime jello, add in some peaches and pineapple and lots of snails, the snails give it a crunchy texture and protein
Omg hahahaha!!

KinsKicks thanks! I didn't even think of babyfood. That will be much easier than having to chop and mash all those veggies. Totally doing that for sure.

WishNixie

Hmmm interesting. I can't decide which sounds more disgusting..... the actual recipe, or the one using crushed snails. O.O Ew. lol. This is interesting to me though. If I WERE to get ambitious enough to make jello for something, it would be my snails though... lol.. I sure do adore them. But man.... I dunno. Sounds like an awful lot of work, haha.

KinsKicks

WishNixie said:
Hmmm interesting. I can't decide which sounds more disgusting..... the actual recipe, or the one using crushed snails. O.O Ew. lol. This is interesting to me though. If I WERE to get ambitious enough to make jello for something, it would be my snails though... lol.. I sure do adore them. But man.... I dunno. Sounds like an awful lot of work, haha.
It really isn't. Really takes like 10 minutes. You don't have to use all the protein junk I do...those are my scraps. Using beef heart + the extra stuff like the bloodworms will do just fine. All it boils down to is baby food+calcium supplement (really cheap)+ gelatin+some fish food if you want + desires protein. It seems like a lot, but it's a really fast process. And you don't even have to blitz it, finely chopped is fine. The longest part is waiting for the jar of food to heat up to bubble in the microwave so it's hot enough to melt the gelatin

WishNixie

KinsKicks said:
It really isn't. Really takes like 10 minutes. You don't have to use all the protein junk I do...those are my scraps. Using beef heart + the extra stuff like the bloodworms will do just fine. All it boils down to is baby food+calcium supplement (really cheap)+ gelatin+some fish food if you want + desires protein. It seems like a lot, but it's a really fast process. And you don't even have to blitz it, finely chopped is fine. The longest part is waiting for the jar of food to heat up to bubble in the microwave so it's hot enough to melt the gelatin
Blech. Just remembering the smell of chicken and beef babyfood... shudder. lol. I used to have to make this god awful frozen conglomeration when I had sugar gliders for an agonizingly long sixteen years, and it suuuucked, haha. But I might have to try this, at least once. How is it on the mess scale in the tank? It has to be better than wayward algae pellets, I assume, yes?

AllieSten

WishNixie said:
Blech. Just remembering the smell of chicken and beef babyfood... shudder. lol. I used to have to make this god awful frozen conglomeration when I had sugar gliders for an agonizingly long sixteen years, and it suuuucked, haha. But I might have to try this, at least once. How is it on the mess scale in the tank? It has to be better than wayward algae pellets, I assume, yes?
My snails won't touch the algae wafers at all. I've had the best luck with the carrots. I can't seem to get them to eat anything else I throw in there lately. They need to eat. So I am going to do this for sure. I already have the Knox gelatin in my cupboard plus the calcium tablets, blood worms & algae wafers. Just need some babyfood and I will be set. I know what I am doing tomorrow lol

KinsKicks

WishNixie said:
Because it's gel food, it's like no mess lol. It's wonderful. I solidify them in some small silicon ice cube trays so I have smaller portions, then I throw them all into a Tupperware container and use as needed when solidified. They pick at leisure. I use it in my Betta sorority (only tank with snails).

WishNixie

Ironically, (because I bought them for my Betta, and he HATED them); I JUST TODAY gave away two tall jars of freeze dried bloodworms to my friend with parrots and beardies, lol... sigh. Pretty typically of my luck really, haha. So whatever I get, I'd have to start buying from scratch.

I bought bbs eggs, and was hatching them for the guppy fry that spawned in one of my tanks, but WHAT a pita sorting between the live bbs and the eggs, so I don't think I want to mess with THAT nonsense anymore, lol.

In Indiana, (I try to support local small business, etc; as opposed to the big box stores), and we have this online Indiana supplier called aquatic arts, and they make a snails/shrimp invertebrates pellet, and everyone from my fish, to my RCS, to my ghost shrimp to ALL my snails go crazy for it.. so it's totally worth the fifteen bucks I pay for the container of it. But I'm all for feeding my snails variety, so they get that every other night, swapped out with blanched okra and zucchini.. so I suppppoooose I could make them Jello Icecubes, lol.. my husband already thinks I've gone out of my mind, so what's one more thing, right? hahaaaaaa...

WishNixie said:
Ironically, (because I bought them for my Betta, and he HATED them); I JUST TODAY gave away two tall jars of freeze dried bloodworms to my friend with parrots and beardies, lol... sigh. Pretty typically of my luck really, haha. So whatever I get, I'd have to start buying from scratch.

I bought bbs eggs, and was hatching them for the guppy fry that spawned in one of my tanks, but WHAT a pita sorting between the live bbs and the eggs, so I don't think I want to mess with THAT nonsense anymore, lol.

In Indiana, (I try to support local small business, etc; as opposed to the big box stores), and we have this online Indiana supplier called aquatic arts, and they make a snails/shrimp invertebrates pellet, and everyone from my fish, to my RCS, to my ghost shrimp to ALL my snails go crazy for it.. so it's totally worth the fifteen bucks I pay for the container of it. But I'm all for feeding my snails variety, so they get that every other night, swapped out with blanched okra and zucchini.. so I suppppoooose I could make them Jello Icecubes, lol.. my husband already thinks I've gone out of my mind, so what's one more thing, right? hahaaaaaa...
This is the stuff mine eat every crumb of.

KinsKicks

WishNixie said:

It's ok! Tell hubby that there are worst thing about in the world than loving your fish .

AllieSten

WishNixie said:
This is the stuff mine eat every crumb of.
I added it to my cart to buy when I next find something to purchase. I have spent entirely too much on Amazon this week. Hubby is getting a little testy. But I did get a good deal on a new Kindle Fire, so I can read on a bigger screen. So I am pretty happy about that lol

WishNixie

KinsKicks said:
It's ok! Tell hubby that there are worst thing about in the world than loving your fish .
Hmm yeaaah. He's been very supportive because I've been using money from my own side business ventures, and not "OUR" budget money for my fish "nonsense;" but he doesn't understand at all. He said.. Fish. Worse.. SNAILS?! Whyyy?! They do NOTHING for us. I'm like.. speak for yourself Bub, lol...

So when you say you buy beef hearts, and or white fish, etc... do you cook this stuff? Put it in raw? How do you prepare it to go into the jello? lol.

You won't regret the purchase, Allie. Especially if you add MSs to your family.

Also; Calcium, what do you use for calcium? Like RepCal (minus the D3), or something else? Just want to make sure I get the proper stuff. I don't want to spend twenty bucks making snail jello and oops on the calcium, and have to make it all over again, lol... that kind of stuff always makes me maaaad.

KinsKicks

WishNixie said:
Hmm yeaaah. He's been very supportive because I've been using money from my own side business ventures, and not "OUR" budget money for my fish "nonsense;" but he doesn't understand at all. He said.. Fish. Worse.. SNAILS?! Whyyy?! They do NOTHING for us. I'm like.. speak for yourself Bub, lol...

So when you say you buy beef hearts, and or white fish, etc... do you cook this stuff? Put it in raw? How do you prepare it to go into the jello? lol.
Nope, its raw. I just chop chop (lol, mad knife skillz) , or you can even use an immersion blender if you have one. you just heat up the baby food to bubbling/boiling, dissolve in the gelatin, and calcium powder, add in the other stuff, give it a stir and you're good to go Then ill just pour it into the ice cube trays and set them in the fridge

WishNixie said:
Also; Calcium, what do you use for calcium? Like RepCal (minus the D3), or something else? Just want to make sure I get the proper stuff. I don't want to spend twenty bucks making snail jello and oops on the calcium, and have to make it all over again, lol... that kind of stuff always makes me maaaad.
I'm not sure about RepCal, but I use TUMS either regular or ultra strength...depending on what's for sale; I get the berry flavors. Don't use mint flavor, those are bad. Ill usually cut the tablets back to 6-7 if I use ultra. In general, you can read the ingredients, and anything should be fine if they don't have phosphorous or vitamin D3

WishNixie

KinsKicks said:
Nope, its raw. I just chop chop (lol, mad knife skillz) , or you can even use an immersion blender if you have one. you just heat up the baby food to bubbling/boiling, dissolve in the gelatin, and calcium powder, add in the other stuff, give it a stir and you're good to go Then ill just pour it into the ice cube trays and set them in the fridge

I'm not sure about RepCal, but I use TUMS either regular or ultra strength...depending on what's for sale; I get the berry flavors. Don't use mint flavor, those are bad. Ill usually cut the tablets back to 6-7 if I use ultra. In general, you can read the ingredients, and anything should be fine if they don't have phosphorous or vitamin D3
Thanks! I'll have to work up the energy for this in the next week or so. And see how my guys like it.

KinsKicks

WishNixie said:
Thanks! I'll have to work up the energy for this in the next week or so. And see how my guys like it.
and you don't even have to make a lot if you wanna just try it out (sometimes ill nicely ask the butcher people for beef hearts...they usually give it to me because nobody wants them. you could always ask for just a chunk or something) The recipes are really flexible lol; I don't even measure; I pretend I'm a chef and just add ingredients until I say "looks good enough "

AngelTheGypsy

This is the recipe I followed. It came up with google...

1 jar baby food. I used beechnut spinach zucchinI and peas I think- had the most calcium.
1.5 unflavored gelatin packets (just in case you don't know, there are 4 pkts in a box)
15 crushed tums, berry flavor
Crushed algae wafers and some flakes
Microwave the baby food, stir in gelatin. Crush tums and fish food to powder, mix in. Divide up in ice cube trays, freeze. I cut the cubes in half, probably should cut even smaller.

Warning: do not feed in betta tanks! insta-bloat!
Cories love them too.

Kellye8498

Will it hurt the betta's if they bloat from it? I have a betta in my community tank for the first time and my snails are coming soon. I have always fed my snails snail jello but didn't know betta's love it too :/ Bleh. I don't want to have to search my tank daily for four little mystery snails just to feed them.

KinsKicks

Kellye8498 said:
Will it hurt the betta's if they bloat from it? I have a betta in my community tank for the first time and my snails are coming soon. I have always fed my snails snail jello but didn't know betta's love it too :/ Bleh. I don't want to have to search my tank daily for four little mystery snails just to feed them.
It should be too bad, but you'll want to minimize how much they get. They're more likely to overeat than anything. Depending on your size Betta and snail, you can always get a deco or DIY a separate safe area in the tank for snails to eat in piece

Kellye8498

It's likely I will just move the betta to another tank because I don't want to deal with separating for feedings. We shall see lol.

KinsKicks

Kellye8498 said:
It's likely I will just move the betta to another tank because I don't want to deal with separating for feedings. We shall see lol.
I believe one member in here made "shark tanks" from cherry baskets with silts big enough for the snails to fit through but not the Betta. And I'm imagine that you could even use a bit of PVC pipe for them to hang out in for feedings.

Also, I don't recommend moving your Betta to another tank during feedings, the constant changes in environments can stress him out, and you don't want that

AllieSten

KinsKicks said:
I believe one member in here made "shark tanks" from cherry baskets with silts big enough for the snails to fit through but not the Betta. And I'm imagine that you could even use a bit of PVC pipe for them to hang out in for feedings.

Also, I don't recommend moving your Betta to another tank during feedings, the constant changes in environments can stress him out, and you don't want that
I honestly thought that was the most clever thing ever. Upside down basket, small enough slots for just the snails to get into it. Solved so many problems.

AngelTheGypsy

I think that was shrimp. Any hole a medium sized mystery snail can go through, so can a betta.
If you separate for feedings, it's much better and easier to separate the snails. Plus you shouldn't feed jello every day, just maybe twice a week. Other times you can just feed veggies.

Kellye8498

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant separating the snails I wouldn't net a fish any more than I had to for any reason. I could just imagine the sickness issues I would have to deal with from disturbing the slime coat so much.

WishNixie

Yeah that stinks about the betta. I really want(ed) to move my shrimp and snails in to my main tank so I could try only having ONE for awhile.. but I don't want to harm my betta in the process. (I'm literally AT the store, shopping for ingredients for this, now I'm
Conflicted). :/

AllieSten

I am heading for the store as soon as I drop my son off. He has to play in the Jazzband at a graduation party. Currently I am sitting in front of the high school with my AC cranked, waiting for them to load up the back of my truck. Then dropping them all off, and then off to the store to get supplies. Gonna check at my one small fish store here to see if they have any mystery snails. Not sure they do. So I may get a couple today. If my son didn't need to be picked up in a couple of hours I would head to the big pet store about an hour away. I don't think I would have enough time.

I did however order that food you suggested WishNixie it should be here in a couple days.

WishNixie

AngelTheGypsy said:
I think that was shrimp. Any hole a medium sized mystery snail can go through, so can a betta.
If you separate for feedings, it's much better and easier to separate the snails. Plus you shouldn't feed jello every day, just maybe twice a week. Other times you can just feed veggies.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. My betta is trI'm and lithe, but my Mystery snails are massive, lol.

AllieSten said:
I am heading for the store as soon as I drop my son off. He has to play in the Jazzband at a graduation party. Currently I am sitting in front of the high school with my AC cranked, waiting for them to load up the back of my truck. Then dropping them all off, and then off to the store to get supplies. Gonna check at my one small fish store here to see if they have any mystery snails. Not sure they do. So I may get a couple today. If my son didn't need to be picked up in a couple of hours I would head to the big pet store about an hour away. I don't think I would have enough time.

I did however order that food you suggested WishNixie it should be here in a couple days.

Yay! I'm glad you got the invertebrates pellets. Your soon to be snails will Thank you for it.

If you can't find nice mystery snails locally, any time soon, let me know. I have to go to the post office Monday, I can mail you some of mine. (But do you guys know anyone who ships them regularly and successfully? I just want to ask for postage tips before attempting it my first time). I don't want any snail casualties.

WishNixie

Making this tonight.... and hoping it turns out okay. :/ I have Alaskan pollock, fresh spinach, zucchini/peas/squash baby food, gelatin, assorted fruit tums.. spirulina amd algae pellets, and tetra color tropical crisps..

I've dubbed it Snell-O, and it looks, and smells... disgusting, lol. I might have thought about throwing up while making it.. just a little bit though, haha. Ew. I feel like I've done it wrong though. :/ I can't decide why though. I Ninja'd the tums, fish crisps, spirulina and algae pellets together... microwaved the baby food.. mixed in the gelatin and calcium powder mix.. Ninja'd the alaska pollock and spinach together, then dumped that in, stirred everything, then added it to the trays, but it just seems.. weird to me, lol. I don't know.... I guess we'll see how it freezes.

So..... if I were to feed this.. say, three times a week, would that be sufficient for the snails as a week's diet? Or not enough? I'm still trying to get the hang on NOT over-feeding.

Snello.jpg

Snello2.jpg

Snello3.jpg

AngelTheGypsy

(Green face) the emojI didn't show up.

WishNixie

Soooo, those in the know.. ..what do you think? Does my SnellO look right? And is feeding the shrimp and snails SnellO three days a week seem a sufficient diet, orrr, should I do SnellO twice a week, and zucchinI twice a week? I'm getting ready to add my snails and shrimp to the big tank, but still a little leery about them mucking up my clean new space, lol..... so I want to make sure I have a feeding schedule down-ish once everyone is together.

Well.. Ew. lol. Clearly filling my ice cube trays up only half way, and cutting them in half again, and only feeding half.. might still be a bit too much. It looks like Chernobyl in my aquarium. lol.. Either my consistency must be off... or "gel food not being messy" is subjective, haha.

EwSnello.jpg

I will say, however.. that everyone seems to enjoy it. Half of my snails are off fornicating after their feast. I know they've already had their dinner, because they have Snello all over their feet, lol.

AllieSten

I still haven't went to the store. Had so much going on to get there. Will probably go tomorrow after my dr appt. At some point I need to make this stuff. Lol

AllieSten

Ok soooo I made Snell-O! Finally. Lol. I just used all babyfood. They had it on sale 6 for a $5. Got veggies and plain chicken. Figured it was easier than getting beef hearts and chopping it up lol. I added some dried blood worms too. Plus the tums and Knox-gelatin. It's in the fridge now hardening up. Then I will cut it up and freeze it. Should get about 48 pieces or so. Hopefully it sets up. I used 2 packs of the gelatin. Which should easily set up the 4 cups or so of babyfood mixture. I wanted it really firm. So it would be easier to deal with. We shall see if it works out I guess. Lol

WishNixie

Yay. You'll have to let me know how it comes out. I'm still not sure I want that kind of mess in the new tank.. but the shrimp and snails have to eat, so we'll have to figure out something. Of course, I's still dragging my feet on putting them IN the new tank. I'm doing my first weekly water change and vacuum on the tank tonight. I don't think it's been quite a full week.. but tonight seemed like a good night to fuss with it. My water paramters were 0/0/40 prior to.. and I did a 75% percent water change.. Filling up now.

AllieSten

It is disgusting! I definitely cut the pieces too big. I threw the first frozen piece in and my cories are now giants! Lol the snails did love it too. I went and sucked out all the leftovers with a turkey baster. That way the cories can digest their food, and not actually explode.

It didn't make too much of a mess in my tank. Stayed pretty contained. Maybe you needed to add more gelatin?

So far so good. Happy snails.

WishNixie

AllieSten said:
It is disgusting! I definitely cut the pieces too big. I threw the first frozen piece in and my cories are now giants! Lol the snails did love it too. I went and sucked out all the leftovers with a turkey baster. That way the cories can digest their food, and not actually explode.

It didn't make too much of a mess in my tank. Stayed pretty contained. Maybe you needed to add more gelatin?

So far so good. Happy snails.
Potentially? Without exact measurements on things.. I always flounder. :/

AllieSten

I have made millions of Jell-O shots. So I have used gelatin quite a bit. I do have a bit of an advantage. Lol

I even think I could have went for 1 more pack of gelatin. But then it may have been too congealed. I had about 3 1/2 cups of the baby food mixture and 2 packs of the Knox gelatin. If that helps at all. For next time lol

WishNixie

AllieSten said:
I have made millions of Jell-O shots. So I have used gelatin quite a bit. I do have a bit of an advantage. Lol

I even think I could have went for 1 more pack of gelatin. But then it may have been too congealed. I had about 3 1/2 cups of the baby food mixture and 2 packs of the Knox gelatin. If that helps at all. For next time lol
Wellllll I've never made a jellO shot in muh life, lol. So next time you make it.. (and like the results), write down EXACTLY what you used, babyfood ounces etc.. and I will try to duplicate it, lol.

AllieSten

It is expected that when I come to a party, I will be bringing Jell-O shots lol they are so easy to make. For holidays I do the fancy layered ones too. Lol

I will write down my recipe next time. Although it is going to be awhile. I made a ton! Lol

WishNixie

Darn, haha. I'm not sure I'm impressed with mine. I don't want to have to do vaccuming of any kind, every time I feed my little aquatic zoo, lol. Send me some Jello Shots for Christmas too, haha.

Top Bottom