Snail Jell-o Recipes

1. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

So mine contains....

Knox Gelatin(unflavored)

Green bean baby food(lowest sodium possible, highest calcium)

Placo algae wafers

Tums tablets

Cuddlebone chunks(or cleaned and dried eggshells)

Various fish flake foods

First thing I do since I have a mortar and pestle, is powder up the cuddlebone chunks(or eggshells with skin removed and dry), wafers, tums, and fish flake foods together. If I didn't have a mortar and pestle I'd be getting creative... If you do, the wafers are the hardest to crush it seems.

Then I add the knox gelatin powder, crushing and mixing it up together.

So to make knox gelatin the normal way, you're supposed to stir boiling water into the stuff until it thickens. Me, I want a more solid consistency.

I add a little bit of water to the green bean baby food, just enough to where it thins out a bit...

Microwave that mixture till it bubbles a bit, then stir into the powder-mix until it's nice & blended. I pour it right out of the mortar, straight back into the baby food containers that conveniently come with lids... The powder doesn't increase the volume much.

Pop into the fridge, and when it cools down it's good to go.

Half a teaspoon at night in my 2-gallon snail breeder is completely gone by morning, they gobbleitup.

So... What kinda recipes are you guys working with?
  2. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I like your recipe, it seems super simple and quick! :) Here's mine:

My base is usually a mix of my normal base for my arowana food which is:

• white fish, mostly cod, tilapia, or any white fish that I can find on sale.
    • shrimp
    • And if I get free leftovers from the butchers/Asian markets, I'll usually add a bit of beef heart or squid

These are usually scraps from when I'm scraping the bucket and can't make a full freezer sheet

For making it into official jello:

I use 1-1.5 packets unflavored gelatin. Then microwave baby food with 4-6% calcium (usually squash or green beans) with the gelatin. Then I crush all my calcium tablets (I use Tums berry flavors; usually 10) and mix in fish food/pellet crumbs and dust and/or algae wafer crumbs/pieces and mix it with the liquids.

Like I mentioned above, I'll usually make a jello when I'm scraping the bottom of the buckets of my foods (I don't like feeding little itty bitty pieces, its messy, so I blitz them instead :p ) So sometimes I'll add/swap in mysis, extra brine shrimp (I've always have fry growing) and bloodworms.

If I feel like working, Ill add blitzed veggies too...but I'm also lazy and baby food is a lot easier, plus, my snails get fed fresh veggies once in awhile anyways

I've also have a recipe to make gel food that I could send to people if they wanted food for their snails too (kinda like gel food you buy online).

3. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

This is interesting! . I have a nerite and right now I'm guessing algae is his food (and boyyy does he have a lot of it) but I will be writing these snail jello recipes down for future. ;)
  4. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Most of them go for algae, but hte more variety the better.

5. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Ok! :). I was also planning on feeding him veggies. Getting kale this week. Do they eat kale? It's organic no pesticides used.
  6. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Forgot to mention.... My cories love it too

Attached Files:

7. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

For sure. Cool part of the Gel is how you can throw whatever you want in. Just go w/ small batches & experiment

8. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Oh cool! :). I wasn't sure. I had heard zucchini they liked. Ok, this should be fun! I might have nerites in my 55 and I'll have cories and a pleco so maybe all bottom dwellers will like the snello
  9. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Snello, I like it. You might want bigger chunks though :-o. Placos gobble... and the cories obviously dig it... maybe a few chunks in different places so they all get some.
  10. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I saw it on here late last night and liked it myself! Oh wow so yes a few chunks throughout the big tank. Hehe

11. Teajay Initiate Member

This all so interesting, I had no idea you could make your own snail food with jell-o. Would it be okay to feed these recipes to mystery snails as well?
  12. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Yup! I have mystery snails, and they like the recipes :) Also, it's not Jell-o, like the human food; you are making a snail safe gel-food using regular unflavored gelatin
  13. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

This is interesting. My question is, how long does snello keep? You keep it frozen right? I'm wondering if a small batch would keep frozen for a long time. I only have 4 nerites, cardinal tetras and a DG. I think the tetras may pick at it as well.
  14. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would last quite a bit of time in the freezer; I keep mine in the fridge because it still keeps that gel consistency and isn't as hard from the freezer; but i don't think they'll mind anyways.

As for fish; I'd recommend changing the recipe a bit (which isn't hard, you just make it more protein based) or minimalizing feeding as the food can be quite fatty for fish
  15. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I know! This is so cool! . I was planning on keeping in fridge
  16. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Most likely. Just keep in mind, the base of gelatin+ a little bit of water... You could mix cinnamon toast crunch if you felt like it. Not advised due to sugar, but you get my drift...
    Mix stuff in that they already do eat... Iz o-k-to-play
  17. Teajay Initiate Member

I'm a bit new to the care of the MS and I am so intrigued by all this. I do hear what you're saying lol thank you though. :)