Snail Is Floating?

haydog

I was going to put emergency but seeing as I don’t know, I didn’t think I should. A very short version of a long story, Lana the Mystery snail was removed from the tank for cleaning. Could I have hurt her? She is now floating with her body slightly curled and wrinkled. It looks oddly contorted to me. She’s just bobbing along, she has her siphon out but that’s about it. She’s been pushed by the current to the corner of the tank. Now she’s just there. I’ve poked her and she hasn’t retracted. I thought I was gentle with her when I moved her, I moved nine others and they’re all fine but maybe I messed up on her. I read it could be trapped air? Can I fix that? She’s not gripping onto anything she bumps into. If she’s unhappy, I couldn’t see why. I really hope she’s okay. She’s been doing this for a day. I’ve never had this happen before. I hope she’s not in pain and I certainly hope it wasn’t I who hurt her.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
If its trapped air you can gently rotate the snail back and forth to get any air out. However if the snail doesn't retract when you touch it, it may be dead. Take it out and see if it smells, if it does then it is definitely dead.
You should leave snails in the tank when cleaning.

haydog

If its trapped air you can gently rotate the snail back and forth to get any air out. However if the snail doesn't retract when you touch it, it may be dead. Take it out and see if it smells, if it does then it is definitely dead.
You should leave snails in the tank when cleaning.
It doesn’t smell, and she was moving her little eyes. I rotated her and nothing happened. She looks so sad.

Mongo75

Well Known
I've had Mystery snails that have floated for days, and they're fine. That's part of the "Mystery". You can take her out and set her on a wet paper towel for 5 to 10 minutes. Sometimes that will help them dislodge a trapped air bubble. What Ghelfaire says it true though, there's no reason to remove any of your livestoce when cleaning.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Can i ask why you removed the snail during a WC ? Removing fish/inverts is never necessary for water changes, it can cause stress.

haydog

I've had Mystery snails that have floated for days, and they're fine. That's part of the "Mystery". You can take her out and set her on a wet paper towel for 5 to 10 minutes. Sometimes that will help them dislodge a trapped air bubble. What Ghelfaire says it true though, there's no reason to remove any of your livestoce when cleaning.
I’ve realized that now. I feel awful and won’t remove them again. I couldn’t handle another snail acting like this because of me. She isn’t as perky as she was but I’ll try the paper towel method if it’ll help!

haydog

Can i ask why you removed the snail during a WC ? Removing fish/inverts is never necessary for water changes, it can cause stress.
I didn’t want to. My family convinced me that the tank needed a good “deep” clean because we had given the snails spinach and they didn’t like it so it settled and the bottom. I was against it, for the record, but I caved and I took them all out to completely wash it and the gravel. I now know it’s bad and stress inducing so it’s safe to say I’ll never do it again. I just wish I hadn’t done it the first time.

AsleepInYorkshire

I didn’t want to. My family convinced me that the tank needed a good “deep” clean because we had given the snails spinach and they didn’t like it so it settled and the bottom. I was against it, for the record, but I caved and I took them all out to completely wash it and the gravel. I now know it’s bad and stress inducing so it’s safe to say I’ll never do it again. I just wish I hadn’t done it the first time.
Sometimes in life we don't quite get everything right. Sometimes we make judgements which, after the event, turn out to be wanting. It's part of being human. That's what humans do. We can't all be perfect. You've provided a predator free home for your snail(s). A small place for them to dwell in perfect luxury whilst they are looked after. Trust me we all make mistakes. It's part of being human. It comes with the territory. Ease up and try not to be too hard on yourself.

AiYn'U

haydog

Sometimes in life we don't quite get everything right. Sometimes we make judgements which, after the event, turn out to be wanting. It's part of being human. That's what humans do. We can't all be perfect. You've provided a predator free home for your snail(s). A small place for them to dwell in perfect luxury whilst they are looked after. Trust me we all make mistakes. It's part of being human. It comes with the territory. Ease up and try not to be too hard on yourself.

AiYn'U
You’re incredibly sweet! Thank you so much! It’s really nice to hear that. I’ll try to look at this like a lesson to learn from. Seriously thank you.

haydog

I’m doing the paper towel thing, here she is.
D7C9C3BF-8FEB-4512-8762-9340DE864463.jpeg

haydog

Update: still nothing. She’s not attaching to anything and when I took her out she didn’t retract and her slimy body was just limp on my hand. I waited a while then put her back in. She’s now bobbing around again with her body hanging limp. Still no smell and her eyes are looking around. I’m just praying she’ll be okay now. I tried rocking her again and some air bubbles did roll out but she is still floating.

StarGirl

Fishlore Legend
I wouldn't ever "deep clean" a tank. if there is some food in the gravel just vac it out. Usually you want to do things on different days to sustain your bacteria. Like gravel vac on water change day. Scrape glass a few days later. (if your snail is on the glass just go around ) You can get ammonia spikes doing it all at once and can kill a lot of your cycle. I hope your snail gets better.

haydog

I wouldn't ever "deep clean" a tank. if there is some food in the gravel just vac it out. Usually you want to do things on different days to sustain your bacteria. Like gravel vac on water change day. Scrape glass a few days later. (if your snail is on the glass just go around ) You can get ammonia spikes doing it all at once and can kill a lot of your cycle. I hope your snail gets better.
Thank you! Yeah, deep cleaning is a no go from here on in! I didn’t know about the cycle until after so that just adds to not doing it again! I have a vac and scraper that I’ll start using instead of “deep cleaning”! I hope she feels better, too! Thank you!

Mongo75

Well Known
I'm really curious, and I'm not trying to call you out, or embarrass you, but did you feed something like chopped frozen spinach? That's the only way I can imagine it getting down in the gravel the way you said. Generally, you want to use fresh that's been blanched to soften it, and only leave it for a day, so it doesn't rot.

Regardless of how it got messy, you've been given a lot of good advice, and I went back and read you "welcome" thread and your Pleco thread, and see you're really just learning the ins and outs.

WELCOME to Fishlore .

I hope you've got the pleco settled into his new home, and understand the "cycle" now. If you're keeping your snail(s) in the 10 gallon tank, it needs to be cycled too, and you'll need to do water changes to keep the water parameters at the same safe levels you need for fish.

You had said in the other thread that you were going to get an ammonia test kit. I would really recommend getting the API Freshwater Master Kit. It may seem expensive when you buy it, but it lasts a long time, and has all the basic tests, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH, that you will need.

If you really need to "deep clean" for something like the spinach disaster, you can use the gravel vac and just do half or a quarter of the substrate on consecutive days. It takes longer, and you run the risk of whatever is left over causing an ammonia spike, but it will go easier on your beneficial bacteria and can be managed with testing and water changes..

Like mattgirl said in the other thread, about using Prime, I wholeheartedly agree. It also costs more than some of the others, but it is more concentrated, so goes a lot farther because you use a lot less, and it has the added benefit of detoxifying up to 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 48 hours, so I recommend it too.

I truly hope you don't feel like you've messed up. We all started off knowing little to nothing, and have had to learn a lot along the way, with out fair share of losses, sadly. It can be frustrating at times, but it can also be very rewarding. My first tank was a fish only saltwater, before the internet became what it is today, and I can tell you, I made my fair share of mistakes. I spent a lot of time in the library, and was lucky enough to have 3 or 4 LFS available, and two that specialized in saltwater, so don't let it get to you too badly. You'll be the one answering questions for others soon enough .

AsleepInYorkshire

Update: still nothing. She’s not attaching to anything and when I took her out she didn’t retract and her slimy body was just limp on my hand. I waited a while then put her back in. She’s now bobbing around again with her body hanging limp. Still no smell and her eyes are looking around. I’m just praying she’ll be okay now. I tried rocking her again and some air bubbles did roll out but she is still floating.
You've done what you can. Now it's up to her. The best part about being human is our compassion. And we're all going through this with you both.

AiYn'U

aquaticamanda

I’m doing the paper towel thing, here she is. View attachment 703835

when you removed her from the tank, was she attached to the glass and did you pull on her? it looks like she was ripped out of her shell honestly.... ive never seen a Mystery come out that much unless they were dead for a while and you said she had no smell.

haydog

I'm really curious, and I'm not trying to call you out, or embarrass you, but did you feed something like chopped frozen spinach? That's the only way I can imagine it getting down in the gravel the way you said. Generally, you want to use fresh that's been blanched to soften it, and only leave it for a day, so it doesn't rot.

Regardless of how it got messy, you've been given a lot of good advice, and I went back and read you "welcome" thread and your Pleco thread, and see you're really just learning the ins and outs.

WELCOME to Fishlore .

I hope you've got the pleco settled into his new home, and understand the "cycle" now. If you're keeping your snail(s) in the 10 gallon tank, it needs to be cycled too, and you'll need to do water changes to keep the water parameters at the same safe levels you need for fish.

You had said in the other thread that you were going to get an ammonia test kit. I would really recommend getting the API Freshwater Master Kit. It may seem expensive when you buy it, but it lasts a long time, and has all the basic tests, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH, that you will need.

If you really need to "deep clean" for something like the spinach disaster, you can use the gravel vac and just do half or a quarter of the substrate on consecutive days. It takes longer, and you run the risk of whatever is left over causing an ammonia spike, but it will go easier on your beneficial bacteria and can be managed with testing and water changes..

Like mattgirl said in the other thread, about using Prime, I wholeheartedly agree. It also costs more than some of the others, but it is more concentrated, so goes a lot farther because you use a lot less, and it has the added benefit of detoxifying up to 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 48 hours, so I recommend it too.

I truly hope you don't feel like you've messed up. We all started off knowing little to nothing, and have had to learn a lot along the way, with out fair share of losses, sadly. It can be frustrating at times, but it can also be very rewarding. My first tank was a fish only saltwater, before the internet became what it is today, and I can tell you, I made my fair share of mistakes. I spent a lot of time in the library, and was lucky enough to have 3 or 4 LFS available, and two that specialized in saltwater, so don't let it get to you too badly. You'll be the one answering questions for others soon enough .
Everyone has been so so nice! Harry the pleco is doing so much better! He’s actually swimming around in the afternoon and I saw him eating!! I’m getting all the kits I ordered online sometime this week!

As for the spinach, I blanched it! Or so I thought, I have no idea why or what I did wrong, but I’ll try it again in the future and I won’t leave it in there long! I didn’t know it was so hard to care for fish and tanks, I’m glad I’m learning! And thank you for helping me learn! I got my new pH Kit! My snails had 7.8!

haydog

You've done what you can. Now it's up to her. The best part about being human is our compassion. And we're all going through this with you both.

AiYn'U
Again... so so so nice of all of you! Y’all are making me feel so welcome and comforted. I’ll post a picture and an update in a moment! Lana isn’t doing good still. My family has a board that we write messages on, they put “Feel better, Lana” on it! It was really sweet!

haydog

when you removed her from the tank, was she attached to the glass and did you pull on her? it looks like she was ripped out of her shell honestly.... ive never seen a Mystery come out that much unless they were dead for a while and you said she had no smell.
The first time or this time? When I moved her to the paper towel she wasn’t on anything, just floating. As for the first time, she was attached to the glass. I didn’t think I pulled her or any of the snails. It took an hour to move them because if they were attached to the glass I’d either poke them to make them retract or wait till they were on the gravel and scoop up the gravel underneath them. I really didn’t think I pulled too hard, I never actually pulled one off- they either released the wall on their own when I scared them or I waited, but if I did then rest assured never doing it again. I hate that Lana had to go through that to teach me not to remove them from the tank. Is there like anything I could do to help her?

haydog

191271B4-C401-4B77-B98C-D6A9A6B24247.jpeg
Here she is! That’s the container I used to put them back in, I would take it out but some are still attached and I’m certainly not doing that again. I unplugged my air stone thingy because she was rocking so much, but now there’s one laying upside down at the bottom. They’re all (excluding Lana and the upside down one Arethousa) crowded around the air stone so I think they want it back on but Lana might start rocking again and it hurts to see her bobbing around with no control. How will I know if she passes? The smell? Will she sink? I wish I could help her more.

Mongo75

Well Known
Everyone has been so so nice! Harry the pleco is doing so much better! He’s actually swimming around in the afternoon and I saw him eating!! I’m getting all the kits I ordered online sometime this week!

As for the spinach, I blanched it! Or so I thought, I have no idea why or what I did wrong, but I’ll try it again in the future and I won’t leave it in there long! I didn’t know it was so hard to care for fish and tanks, I’m glad I’m learning! And thank you for helping me learn! I got my new pH Kit! My snails had 7.8!
I'm sure you already know this, but you can try kale, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, and a whole list of other fresh veggies. Blanching is the way to do it, but remember to take out whatever is left over the next day . I just couldn't shake the image of little blobs of chopped frozen spinach all over .

haydog

I'm sure you already know this, but you can try kale, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, and a whole list of other fresh veggies. Blanching is the way to do it, but remember to take out whatever is left over the next day . I just couldn't shake the image of little blobs of chopped frozen spinach all over .
A lot of people suggested zucchini! I don’t think I’ve heard Kale? I love Kale so we could eat it together! Yeah! I’ll start taking leftover food out the day after! They gobble up algae wafers, so they must just not like spinach to leave so much behind!

Mongo75

Well Known
View attachment 704102
How will I know if she passes? The smell? Will she sink? I wish I could help her more.
It really is just up to time now. If she doesn't pull through, you will know by the smell. I would take her out every day, give her the sniff test, and go from there.

A lot of people suggested zucchini! I don’t think I’ve heard Kale? I love Kale so we could eat it together! Yeah! I’ll start taking leftover food out the day after! They gobble up algae wafers, so they must just not like spinach to leave so much behind!
My snails never went for the zucchini, and I haven't tried any of the other veggies. I'm down to one nerite now, and she's (confirmed by her eggs) content with the algae and biofilm in the tank.

StarGirl

Fishlore Legend
Yeah my Nerites don't eat anything either. The Mysteries sure did!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Berugula
  • Snails
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
  • Question
  • Megaanemp