Snail invasion :(

Discussion in 'Snails' started by platy ben, Apr 5, 2010.

1. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well its official, I have a snail invasion in my 8G.
    This one could be difficult to solve, because there are shrimp in the tank I can't just by a dwarf puffer and thats it, because I want to keep my shrimp.

The Brevis fry are all out now so basically any suggestions of small fish, which eat little snails but are too small and/or too slow to eat a shrimp.

I've read that sparkling gouramis will eat small snails so these are all I can think of at the moment.

All suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. w

wildboy84 New Member Member

hey,
    After doing some research here is a website that will really help. I also have a snail problem, too.
      Just go to Removing Aquarium Snails

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

The best thing to do is food control. If there is less food there will be less snails. You can try assissan snails. I dont think the would eat the shrimp and will destroy the snails.

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I don't think you should try and get rid of the snails at all. Seriously.

IMO, the snails are very beneficial, especially in a shrimp tank, when they are small enough to scavenge the tiny bits of food that the shrimp miss.

As what Furallicah said, feeding a bit less will help, otherwise, it's not advisable to get rid of them. The snails are an indicator of overfeeding. Otherwise, they stay helpful and prevent "toxic pockets" of ammonia from forming in the gravel.

Here are some care sheets of the two most common types of "invading" snails:

MTS:  

Pond Snails:  

5. OP
    OP
    platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the replies :)
    Well as the tank now has no fry in and I've always wanted some sparkling gouramis I will get a couple and hopefully they won't eat all of the snails :) The link wildboy gave said that gouramis will eat them but they aren't too good at tracking them down when they are under the gravel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice