Snail Invasion

1. TheQuirkyCory

TheQuirkyCory Valued Member Member

Hey guys...don't kill me for this. It's a just a request. So yep, snail infestation. I have a fairly well planted tank. I've tried everything to get rid of these snails. I don't have any fish in my tank right now do over feeding is not a problem. I have tried blanched lettuce and NO snails were on it after 2 tries/2 nights. I did deep cleaning where I dipped all my plants in a bleach water mix and crushed snails in my substrate and on glass. I did a water change too. I have not tried snail traps yet. My plants are riddled with holes. My beautiful aquascape is halfway ruined. I am at the point where I want to use cupramine which is less aggressive on fish and plants but will kill snails (not the eggs though). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

3. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

Try blanched cucumbers or zucchini. Maybe try spinach or kale instead of lettuce.

4. OP
    OP
    TheQuirkyCory

Oh and I forgot to mention, I put in 4 assasin snails and my snail populations dropped for about 2 weeks but then I went to my tank and saw my pest snails EATING my assasin snails alive. I mean, I've seen some pretty crazy things, but pest snails eating assasin snails???? Like honestly:

5. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

What's your stock and what/how much are you feeding? I always find when I accidentally overfeed my fish the population explode.

6. OP
    OP
    TheQuirkyCory

I don't have any fish, just plants, pest snails and 1 remaining assasin snail

7. BHK3

I see now that I *completely* missed the sentence in your original post where you very clearly said that. Sorry for my poor reading comprehension! :)

8. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

I am not sure about this but a long time ago, someone that raised fish told me to drop a couple of pennies in a small tank to get rid of the snails. You might want to research this before you try it though! :)

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Copper will kill snails, just not sure if it's a great idea.

10. BHK3

Oooh, that would be interesting to try. Especially since it's just snails and plants in the tank, what could it hurt? Would plants be affected after just a couple days of high iron?

11. OP
    OP
    TheQuirkyCory

That would be interesting, but will the crazy amount of germs do anything to my aquarium. LOL

12. BHK3

Maybe boil them first to kill off the nasties? :-D

13. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Maybe add some loaches? At least the snails won't be eating the loach anytime soon.

14. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Copper from pennies will also kill fish... I know you don't have any but anyone considering this method with fish is apt to see deaths... I had two little sisters, I promise pennies will kill fish if left for long.

On that note if it kills fish I imagine it'll work tremendously well for the snails, and since you have no fish you can probably remove and wc after mass die off and do it again a day or so before water changes each week to kill any newly hatched snails. Probably have to do so for a couple months to be certain no one else is going to hatch on you.

15. OP
    OP
    TheQuirkyCory

I mean if I do use pennies could I use cupramine instead?

16. Brizburk

Brizburk Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank? Do you plan on adding fish? Puffer fish eat snails. Just make sure your set up is proper for the puffs. Indian Dwarf Puffers are tiny, fully fresh water and love to hunt and eat snails!!

17. sfsamm

Either will leave copper in your tank making it uninhabitable for most inverts until the copper is completely removed from the system with something like Cuprisorb. And I imagine using one and then the other would work... Pennies are cheaper and worth a shot in my opinion since you don't have fish to worry about.

18. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

Pennies made after 1982 are only 2.5 percent copper. The rest is zinc.

19. OP
    OP
    TheQuirkyCory

I already have a stocking plan and it's a 10 gal so no Puffers anytime soon with peacock gudgeons and CDPs lol

I think I'll probably try that

20. sfsamm

I knew that pennies went mostly zinc at some point... Wasn't sure on the year lol when my my sisters pennied my tanks one would have seen very likely copper pennies, the other could have easily went either way as it was several years later.