Snail Invasion - What To Do?

1. william holland

william holland New Member Member

I've kept freshwater aquariums for years, cichlid and plain freshwater community, but this past year I decided for the first time to try out a planted freshwater tank. I had fun arranging a couple swords, a java fern, an anubias...

All was great until the snails decided to emerge. I understand now they hijacked their way into my 55gal tank on those plants. I've been waging war with them for months now, importing a herd of assassin snails last month as my most recent effort. Clown loaches previously appeared to have no effect. But while the invaders stubbornly cling to their adoptive home, some of the assassins' shells turn out to be empty. Can't say what may be preying on them, but the target snail population is burgeoning.

So yesterday I ripped all of the plants from the tank (except for a lonely little moss ball). Seemed the extensive root systems were providing the bad snails with too much cover. So I'm hoping for a better shot at manual and assassin snail eradication efforts with all that cover gone. The fish are quite annoyed at me of course.

In any event, now that the tank has been denuded of its flora, any advice regarding strategies going forward?

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Any snails you want to keep? I bought a plant with snails and snail eggs and bought some Snail Zap! by Seapora. It worked by the next morning the snails were dead on the ground and I rinsed of the plant leafs. Never seen them again. But other members do other things as well though.