Snail inside a snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by callaway000, Aug 11, 2015.

1. callaway000Valued MemberMember

I woke up and did my morning snail check, found him in the center of my tank hanging out a bit. I go about my day, decide to check my tank a few hours later and see one of the many annoying tiny black snails inside my mystery's shell. Pick the mystery up and manage to get the black snail out and throw him out. Few hours later there is another black snail in my mystery's shell! I couldn't get him out so I put him in my soon to be betta tank so no other snails would bother. The black snail eventually came out and I threw him out. My mystery hasn't moved for 3 days, he's just poking his body out a little so I'm just assuming he's dead. I'm guessing the other snails might have eaten the mystery's body. :( this mystery was very active which is why I assume it's dead after 3 days with absolutely no movement. I'm pretty sure the black snails are bladder snails

2. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Pick him up and smell him. if he is dead you will smell rotting fish or his shell will be empty or he will be rotted inside and you can rinse him out of his shell. A dead snail smells , a live snail does not. A lot of times mystery snails will just rest in their shell even for a few days and then be up and climbing around. Sniff to check if no smell put him back. Good luck and keep us updated, Alison

3. callaway000Valued MemberMember

Doesn't smell... will continue to check him once in a while.

4. gsong321Valued MemberMember

Those pesky pond snails! I had them introduced to my tanks through guaranteed snail free plant's. I find them everywhere. I find hundreds in the canister filters. I finally started making them work for me by putting them in my ponds...the gold fish love em! Sorry to hear about your mystery snail...I love the little fellas!

5. callaway000Valued MemberMember

Definitely dead now. Picked him up and he pretty much fell apart, opening fell off, body was like a ragdoll. Got another snail though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice