Snail infestation !

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nonie, Jul 17, 2015.

1. N

Nonie New Member Member

So my now less crowded 23L (6gallon) tank is fine with 2 rasboras and 3 ghost shrimp( moved the rest of my fish and the cherry shrimp into a 20 gallon tank). All seemed well until we came back from a 5 day vacation to find ten snails in the tank. We had introduced a new plant about 3 weeks ago, but I remember rinsing it thoroughly to avoid this exact issue. It's true that the tank is super clean; no algae in sight. What should I do? Leave them be? Get rid of a few ? I heard they multiply like crazy over a short period of time... Please help

Work hard. Play hard. Die hard

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I've seen people use vegetables like lettuce and zucchini/cucumber to attract the snails. When there are a bunch of snails on the veggie, you would just throw it out.

I'm not sure how they'd do with shrimp, but I've also seen people use Assassin snails to control their snail population. Fight fire with fire I suppose.

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Leave the snails, they won't overrun your tank. They're honestly more help than harm. You can use a cuttlebone to attract them too then remove it when the swarm.

Rasboras are a schooling species and need at least 8 in a school and depending on the species, need a minimum of 10-20 gallons. 6 may be too small for a school depending on the species.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  4. LiterallyHydro

That is true. Even chili rasboras I wouldn't put in something smaller than 10 gallons.

5. OP
    OP
    N

Nonie New Member Member

Thank you so much guys... In that case will get a few more rasboras and put them in the new 20 gallon tank ; can I switch my rummynose tetras into the 6 gallon tank?

6. LiterallyHydro

Rummynose would also need a 20 long. For a 6 gallon tank the only actual fish that could go in there is a betta. For that reason I would just put red cherry shrimp in that tank and nothing else. A planted shrimp tank can be really neat.

7. OP
    OP
    N

Nonie New Member Member

LiterallyHydro That's a good idea... Will do that ! Thanks .

8. LiterallyHydro

Good choice. ;D

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

The snails will overpopulate if the right conditions exist ( food source, water temps )

If you only have a handful, you can manually remove them. I used this trick with the empty water bottle to bait the ones I don't want.

snail trap.jpg

I would caution against using Assassin snails as they TOO BREED and you could have 50 or so at one time with the eggs they lay. Plus Assassins are carnivores and need a constant diet.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Right like Junne said, getting a snail to get rid of other snails is not really the solution. You get rid of one kind of snail, but then you have to figure out a solution to get rid of the new snails! It's a never ending war at that point lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice