Snail infestation ramshorn and bladder

JasperWard

I am thinking of taking everything out and dippijg it in a lum mixture, and using new gravel. I go to camp in 10 days so it will have to wait like 9 weeks and i am really ecared the population will get out of control, how do i stop this before i can reset, is there anything i can add to water now with my betta and live plants?
I am thinking of taking everything out and dippijg it in a lum mixture, and using new gravel. I go to camp in 10 days so it will have to wait like 9 weeks and i am really ecared the population will get out of control, how do i stop this before i can reset, is there anything i can add to water now with my betta and live plants?
It is not bad soon but from what i can tell it will get badd fast

awilkinson871

If you use new gravel it will affect your BB in the tank. There really is nothing you can add to kill snails that wont negatively affect everything else and it likely wont kill all the snails anyway. Having some is not bad- they eat algae. Do not overfeed the fish- this is a key to keeping the population under control. They will find any remaining morsel and use it to fuel reproduction. Feeding the minimum and adding fasting days can help while you are away. Before you go, add slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini at night and take it out in the morning- it will likely be covered with snails. You can also remove any snail eggs if you see them- they are often on the glass or plant leaves and look like a clear glob with circles inside.

Upvote 0

kbn

Heavily agree with the above answer. Snail outbreaks are controlled by their food sources and if their populations are constantly high and rising, there is an imbalance in the tank.

However, apart from good maintanence and a quick revision of your lighting schedule and quality , I suggest introducing one or two assassin snails, they'll clear up the invasion soon and they'll still survive if there are no more prey snails left, they'll just eat detritus, uneaten fish food, etc.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Overpopulation of snails just means your feeding too much. 9 weeks is a long time. Will someone be changing the water? Whoever is taking care of your fish should just feed once a day and just what the fish can eat in 3 min. That will keep the snail population at bay.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

If you use new gravel it will affect your BB in the tank. There really is nothing you can add to kill snails that wont negatively affect everything else and it likely wont kill all the snails anyway. Having some is not bad- they eat algae. Do not overfeed the fish- this is a key to keeping the population under control. They will find any remaining morsel and use it to fuel reproduction. Feeding the minimum and adding fasting days can help while you are away. Before you go, add slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini at night and take it out in the morning- it will likely be covered with snails. You can also remove any snail eggs if you see them- they are often on the glass or plant leaves and look like a clear glob with circles inside.
I have decided to move my betta to the old tank and completely redo the whole tank, soaking everything in alum and such. I will recycle the tank, but i will have the filter still running and stuff so it shouldnt taje as long as before. My betta lived 2.5 years in her old tank so i think she will do fine while we redo the tank, i am going away for a while so it will probably be like 12 weeks or more

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

The beneficial bacteria in the filter needs to have a consistent ammonia source or it will die. Running it on an empty tank isn't going to help it cycle faster once you get back. You could take the filter media out and put it in the other filter or add this filter to the other tank while you are gone. Although snails could be living in the filter itself.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

The beneficial bacteria in the filter needs to have a consistent ammonia source or it will die. Running it on an empty tank isn't going to help it cycle faster once you get back. You could take the filter media out and put it in the other filter or add this filter to the other tank while you are gone. Although snails could be living in the filter itself.
I am probably going to restart the whole thing, i didnt like how the tank looked anyway, could i run a filter in a bowl or something, i have dr.tims ammonia fhat i could have parents dose, it would be like a one gallon bowl, how would
i dose that. I dont mind a long cycle i just want the snails gone i will replace the whole filter if need be

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

It would probably be easier to just tear it all apart and let everything dry out to ensure the snails are gone. They cant survive if everything stays dry especially for 9-12 weeks. Then when you set everything back up use the ammonia to do a fishless cycle.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

It would probably be easier to just tear it all apart and let everything dry out to ensure the snails are gone. They cant survive if everything stays dry especially for 9-12 weeks. Then when you set everything back up use the ammonia to do a fishless cycle.
Yeah that seems to make the most sense

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Just make sure the tank the betta is in is cycled before you leave for camp. Then all your parents have to do is water changes and feed.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

Just make sure the tank the betta is in is cycled before you leave for camp. Then all your parents have to do is water changes and feed.
I leave in 10 days, how would i check, i am hopeful that it is, and if not i do not know what to do my parents will have np idea how to do that
Would soaking the filter in a salt bath for a day Hurt? Would that kill BB
Overpopulation of snails just means your feeding too much. 9 weeks is a long time. Will someone be changing the water? Whoever is taking care of your fish should just feed once a day and just what the fish can eat in 3 min. That will keep the snail population at bay.
It is not yet i just do not want it to happen as i am already seeing eggs and babies

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Has the old tank been running with fish in it all this time? Or did you have it taken apart?

Upvote 0

JasperWard

Has the old tank been running with fish in it all this time? Or did you have it taken apart?
Taken apart but i do not really see another option i have a cycled sponge filter and i could add the bio rings from old filter

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Taken apart but i do not really see another option i have a cycled sponge filter and i could add the bio rings from old filter
If the tank is taken apart it is not cycled. If the sponge filter has been dried it no longer has BB. You can remove the bio rings from the old filter and use them to help cycle the old tank faster but it is not likely to cycle in 9 days. I recommend leaving the betta in the current tank and asking your parents to do water changes weekly and feed maybe 3 pellets daily. This will minimize uneaten food and waste for the snails. Use some cucumbers or zucchini nightly until you leave to try to remove as many as possible until you leave. I would then rescape the tank when you get back. Switching the betta to an uncycled tank is something that should be done when you have multiple weeks to check parameters and do water changes as needed so it should wait until after your trip.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

If the tank is taken apart it is not cycled. If the sponge filter has been dried it no longer has BB. You can remove the bio rings from the old filter and use them to help cycle the old tank faster but it is not likely to cycle in 9 days. I recommend leaving the betta in the current tank and asking your parents to do water changes weekly and feed maybe 3 pellets daily. This will minimize uneaten food and waste for the snails. Use some cucumbers or zucchini nightly until you leave to try to remove as many as possible until you leave. I would then rescape the tank when you get back. Switching the betta to an uncycled tank is something that should be done when you have multiple weeks to check parameters and do water changes as needed so it should wait until after your trip.
sponge filter has not been dried, my
parents understand how to change water and gravel vac, plus testing water. I will be gone for 7 weeks

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

sponge filter has not been dried
Using the sponge filter and bio rings will lead to helping to cycle the tank faster as it will have some BB on it, but there is not guarantee it will cycle in the time you have before you go. What size is the current tank and what size is the old tank?

Upvote 0

JasperWard

Using the sponge filter and bio rings will lead to helping to cycle the tank faster as it will have some BB on it, but there is not guarantee it will cycle in the time you have before you go. What size is the current tank and what size is the old tank?
5 current, 3.5 old

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Personally, I would leave it in the larger tank. Downgrading the size could lead to behavior issues and since you cant transfer gravel, plants, decor without risk of transferring snails and eggs I dont think the tank will fully cycle in 9 days. StarGirl mattgirl your input please.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would just try to remove as many snails in the time before you leave for camp. They wont get out of control too bad in 7 weeks. Tell your parents to remove them when they see them too. Leave the 5g how it is with the betta.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

I would just try to remove as many snails in the time before you leave for camp. They wont get out of control too bad in 7 weeks. Tell your parents to remove them when they see them too. Leave the 5g how it is with the betta.
My parents dont care enough to do that
Personally, I would leave it in the larger tank. Downgrading the size could lead to behavior issues and since you cant transfer gravel, plants, decor without risk of transferring snails and eggs I dont think the tank will fully cycle in 9 days. StarGirl mattgirl your input please.
I need to erradicate these snails, she has only been there for a few weeks, i think i am going to move her to the smaller tank, I am sorry

I need to erradicate these snails, she has only been there for a few weeks, i think i am going to move her to the smaller tank, I am sorry
I just dont know man like i want to get rid of them and she was fine in thwre so many times starting from scratch before i learned and this is really stressing me out, i wish i had just never bought those stupid plants

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree. I would just leave the little guy in the tank it is in right now. As long as left over food isn't left in the tank the snail population isn't going to explode. Spend the time before you leave removing all you can. Simply put a piece of lettuce or just about any kind of fresh veggie in a dish of some kind. Put it in there after lights out. Lift the feeding dish along with all the snails in it out of the tank first thing each morning. Once out of the tank kill and then dispose of them. Repeat each night and you will have removed a lot of them.

I recommend putting the food on a dish of some kind. If you don't a lot of the snails will let go of the food and fall back in the tank when you try to lift them out. May be considered cruel by some folks but back when I was removing dozens of ramshorn snails from my tank daily I killed them with table salt. I would just put the snails in a tiny bit of water, add about a teaspoon of salt and swirl it around. As far as I could tell it instantly killed them. Please don't throw them away alive.
Of course all we can do is advise. You don't have to follow our advice.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

I just dont know man like i want to get rid of them and she was fine in thwre so many times starting from scratch before i learned and this is really stressing me out, i wish i had just never bought those stupid plants
I could have my parents having it cycle for a few weeks but i really want her moved
I agree. I would just leave the little guy in the tank it is in right now. As long as left over food isn't left in the tank the snail population isn't going to explode. Spend the time before you leave removing all you can. Simply put a piece of lettuce or just about any kind of fresh veggie in a dish of some kind. Put it in there after lights out. Lift the feeding dish along with all the snails in it out of the tank first thing each morning. Once out of the tank kill and then dispose of them. Repeat each night and you will have removed a lot of them.

I recommend putting the food on a dish of some kind. If you don't a lot of the snails will let go of the food and fall back in the tank when you try to lift them out. May be considered cruel by some folks but back when I was removing dozens of ramshorn snails from my tank daily I killed them with table salt. I would just put the snails in a tiny bit of water, add about a teaspoon of salt and swirl it around. As far as I could tell it instantly killed them. Please don't throw them away alive.

I have been but rhere are always more

Could i dismantle it after going away?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BenjiBear
  • Snails
Replies
Views
OneShot
  • Question
Replies
Views