Snail in tank

1. jdmLuzon Member Member

i did a 25% water change today i when i top it off i noticed 1 snail in my tank! i did not buy not 1 snail so i dpnt know why i have one! it must have hitchhike from my LFS when I bought a fish last week. is this going to be a problem?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

herebit is.

Attached Files:

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If there is more than one, and they lay eggs, this will be a problem. If not, it will work out fine!

Also it looks like a common pond snail.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

It won't necessarily cause problems on its own, but snails can reproduce even if there is only one so you will probably end up with a large number of them in you tank - which means lots of snail waste and resulting ammonia etc. Especially if it is a small tank or already fully stocked that can be trouble. If you don't have any fish that eat snails already in your tank, then I would take it out now before you have an infestation.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Snail eating fish: clown loaches, pufferfish (do not get either for your tank) and dwarf chain loach. (possibility)
    Also zebra loaches will work.

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

I would take it out just to be safe. Those kind of snails readily produce a lot of offspring and simply overfeeding your tank could send those guys into overtime. I occasionally get a few in my tanks from the plants I get from the LFS, I try to make sure I get them all clean but they're good hiders.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah just take it out. If you do have a huge infestation then consider getting a zebra or dwarf chain loach. Make sure you feed them after all snails are gone if you do.

7. FiscCyning Member Member

Depending on your tank size, loaches will likely get too big to keep long-term (they also are schooling fish so you need multiples). Unless you already have them, I would not recommend adding them just to eat one snail that can easily be removed by hand.

8. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I once had an outbreak of pond snails in my tank, I feed less and never let food hit the bottom of the tank and the snails died within a month, And the filter killed most of them... Or you can keep it, but its something that can get out of control, especially if you have a bottom feeder that needs food. There are some assassin snails and fish that eat pond/small snails.

Oh and if you see one, You probably have 10 others you don't know about. Next week 30. And so on.

9. jdmLuzon Member Member

thanks guys!

10. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Easiest way to get rid of them if you start noticing more of them is to go and get a snailrid or any tipe of copper medications seachem cupramine did realy well for me.
    A i needed was one dose and i havent seen snail in a while

11. fish gazer Member Member

I agree, just throw in a slice of cucumber or zucchini overnight and you should have a good idea if you have any more and remove it, I heard most snails do multiply like crazy, removal of the snail would be the best IMO before it gets out of hand.

12. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I am a little fond of these snails, they are tough and kind of cute. I had one for a while, it came out of nowhere haha. Lived in my tank for a month before my crayfish found it.

I probably have others sneaking around in there, I just don't over feed, seems to keep them at bay.